Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

Gearing up for the 7th annual Feed My Starving Children event

Students at WCCHS prepare for upcoming volunteer event.
Students+form+teams+in+the+back+room+so+they+can+pack+as+many+meals+as+possible.+
Photo by Leslie Fireman
Students form teams in the back room so they can pack as many meals as possible.

On February 8th, the 7th annual Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) epic event for West Chicago Community High School will take place at the Aurora, Illinois FMSC location. 

Feed My Starving Children is a non-profit organization that works with food distribution companies and gains donations from the public to ensure starving children get the nutrition they deserve. Over the last few years, students give back to the community by volunteering for FMSC and fighting against world hunger. FMSC has invited 150 involved students from West Chicago to help with a MobilePack event that recruits volunteers to pack meals sent to children worldwide. Clubs and courses like Wego Global, Track, Journalism, National Honor Society, and more are preparing to attend the event. 

“I love the environment. I feel so grateful to have the opportunity to go this year with track,”  sophomore Patricia Marszalek said.

Buses will depart from the school at 3:45 and return at 6:30. Students also have the option to drive themselves to and from the event. The event is a great opportunity for students to acquire volunteer hours for graduation and National Honor Society. 

National Honors Society members from last year volunteered together at the event. (Photo by Leslie Fireman)

“Every semester we have to complete at least 10 hours of volunteer work as part of the requirement to stay in NHS. Going to volunteer at this event will give NHS members a couple of hours to help them approach that goal,” senior and NHS member Matthew Eaton said.

Some students persuade others to take the opportunity to visit FMSC and help their mission.

“I went with my Girl Scout team when I was younger. I encourage everyone who’s able to go to go for sure,” senior Clara Hasselgren said.

FMSC gives students the chance to do something good for the world, gain volunteering hours, and bond with their peers. Check with club sponsors for last-minute sign-ups, it’s not too late!

“I love that we have the opportunity to go as a school community. Volunteering is a wonderful thing to get in the habit of doing, and going with your peers in your clubs at school will help to strengthen the bonds between everyone,” Eaton said.

View Comments (2)
Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

About the Contributor
Ja'Nyah Villa
Ja'Nyah Villa, Senior Reporter
Ja'Nyah is a sophomore this year and in her first semester of Journalism production. She is very driven and dedicated to her schoolwork and extracurricular activities. Outside of Journalism, Ja'Nyah is an active member of Wego Drama and her hobbies include reading and listening to music. In the future, Nyah hopes to pursue a career in literary editing or journalism after college.
Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (2)

Any comment made will go through the Wildcat Chronicle to be approved. Obscene, suggestive, vulgar, profane, threatening, disrespectful, defamatory language will not be published. Attacks made towards race, gender, sexual orientation, or creed will not be tolerated. Comments should be relevant to the article or the writer; please respect the author and the other commenters. Comments must be 300 words or less. All comments are the property of the Wildcat Chronicle after being submitted. In order to submit a comment, a valid e-mail address must be used, and the email must be verified. Impersonating another person’s name is prohibited.
All Wildcat Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Mark PoultererFeb 14, 2024 at 10:11 am

Thanks so much for writing this article! It’s such a great way to get the word out!

• ryFeb 8, 2024 at 10:32 am

great article!