Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$725
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

‘Dancing With Tears In My Eyes’ shows promise for upcoming album

Joshua Bassett continues to grow his discography with a new single.

Joshua Bassett teases his new album with the single “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes”, released on June 27. 

After ghosting the internet for months, pop singer-songwriter Joshua Bassett announced his debut album “The Golden Years,” which is presumed to drop later this July. Though his publicity for his new music and upcoming tour has not been the greatest, that does not change the fact that his music continues to impress fans. Bassett’s new single is everything fans hoped for. 

This reporter continues to believe that Bassett is one of the best up-and-coming pop artists of the generation. If “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes” is any indication to what his debut album will sound like, fans are in luck.

One reason for the four-star rating would be the song’s overall vibe. While the lyrics are quite meaningful, the upbeat tempo and almost disco-esque vibe are big contributors to what makes this song stick out in Bassett’s discography. “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes” is lively, fun, and nostalgic (in a way, it reminds one of a disco club in the 80s). The beat is dance-worthy and different. Bassett’s decision to create a song that is so different from the rest of his music, but still perfectly his vibe, was the right choice.

It is no secret that Bassett has a talent for great lyricism. As previously mentioned, the lyrics to “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes” are impactful. Bassett compares his situation to that of the tragic love story: Romeo and Juliet. “Makin’ a mess of the bed we made, playin’ with fire we already tamed, Romeo and Juliet, we should’ve known better,” is a lyric in the first verse. Though the lyrics are a bit repetitive, they are catchy and emotional. Another lyric that stands out is “It’s eating me alive to see you doing better, maybe my wine will help me forget you.” Bassett’s lyrics continue to be heartbreaking and tell of how the aftereffects of a relationship can affect a person. 

Overall, Bassett has always been and remains that way. His vocals, lyric choices, and positive energy (despite his sad lyrics!) are part of what makes him a star. “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes” is a fantastic song, and worth a listen.

This reporter looks forward to his upcoming album and tour.