Parents have taken college schemes to a whole new level

By Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

Wealthy parents bribed elite schools such as Yale, Stanford, and UCLA with money to fake their child’s scores, athletic records, and disabilities during the admission process.

According to The Los Angeles Times, federal prosecutors have announced charges to over 50 people, including celebrities, corporate executives, investment bankers, business owners, and top lawyers on March 13.

It’s ironic how even a bestselling author of parenting books is among those who wrote checks to falsify their child’s GPA, SAT, and ACT scores.

Some even went as far as to photoshopping their child’s face onto the bodies of athletes and falsified disabilities.

It’s absolutely horrible how far parents went to have their child attend a prestigious school.

What’s even worse is that some of the kids even participated in their parents’ scheme.

According to USA Today, students had test proctors tell them the answers to college admission tests and even “gloated” about it afterward.

To have cheated their way into elite schools and gloat about it just shows how much they don’t deserve to attend them.

The University of Southern California said that students applying to the university involved in the scheme will be denied admission and students already admitted will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Other schools involved in the college scheme haven’t made any announcement about what they will do to the students already admitted or the ones in the process of admission.

This college scandal has become the biggest scheme in history and many should follow the University of Southern California’s lead to reassure the public they are taking this seriously.

This college scandal has brought back questions about whether money, power, or celebrity status play a role in the admission process. The victims of this horrendous act are the true hardworking students that dream even just have the chance to apply to these elite schools.

The admission process should not evaluate a student’s money, power, or celebrity status when the majority don’t have those privileges.

Law enforcement has arrested the parents in the college scheme. Their arrest shows that money, power, and celebrity status cannot be used to cheat in life.

This scheme shows exactly why efforts to make the admission process fairer needs to happen and provide more help to low income and/or minority group students that deserve to attend these schools.