$600
$750

“Mean Girls – The Musical” presents a ‘fetch’ performance this weekend

WeGo Drama presents their version of “Mean Girls” April 25-27.
Alex+Rocha%2C+a+junior+in+Mean+Girls+prepares+for+dress+rehearsal+by+applying+her+stage+makeup.+
Photo by Nancy Sanchez
Alex Rocha, a junior in “Mean Girls” prepares for dress rehearsal by applying her stage makeup.

WeGo Drama’s musical season makes a comeback April 25 – 27, 2024 in the auditorium at 7 p.m. with a musical performance.

In the halls of WEGO, where cliques rule and drama thrive, a new student enters the scene. Meet Cady, a girl with big dreams and a heart full of hope, stepping into a world where the ‘Plastics’ reign supreme. As she navigates the treacherous waters of high school popularity, she teeters precariously between sinking or swimming. Such is the roller coaster ride of gossip, backstabbing, and unexpected alliances in “Mean Girls: High School Edition.”

The pit is an essential piece for a musical, providing all the music for actors. (Photo by Nancy Sanchez)

The musical is similar to the Tina Fey-produced and directed movie, which is still popular nearly 20 years later. A musical version of the film/book released on video earlier this year, and now, the production comes to Weyrauch Auditorium.

“I’m so excited for ‘Mean Girls!’ I’ve wanted a chance to be in this show for years, so I’m so glad I’m finally getting the opportunity,” senior Francis Moffet said.

In the bustling halls, where friendships are tested and secrets run deep, Cady finds herself entangled in the web of the notorious ‘Plastics’ led by the cunning Regina. As Cady grapples with fitting in while staying true to herself, she uncovers a world of jealousy, betrayal, and unexpected alliances that will shape her high school journey. In the midst of the high school chaos, a looming event threatens to change everything.

All of the familiar characters from the film will be there.

“I am incredibly proud to say that I got the role of Damian. He’s super energetic and confident in who he is,” sophomore Milly Mora-Zarco said.

For the seniors, the musical marks on the final performances of the season.

“I’m playing Janis, who’s my favorite character–she’s the art freak, best friends with Damian, It’s been such an honor to embody her and work with so many wonderful artists,” Moffet said.

Tickets for “Mean Girls: High School Edition” can only be purchased online through WeGo Drama’s website, and seating is pre-determined, unlike other shows. Those who want to experience the musical should plan accordingly.

“I am excited for Mean Girls and one of my friends is in it so I am hype,” senior Jasmin Leyva said.

View Comments (1)
$600
$750

About the Contributor
Nancy Sanchez
Nancy Sanchez, Multimedia Content Creator
Nancy is a senior at West Chicago taking Journalism for the second time. She speaks English, Spanish, and French, but decided to learn Mandarin to communicate better. She plays an "unremarkable" number of instruments in her free time, including the drums, violin, viola, trombone, French horn, clarinet, harp, ukelele, guitar, and piano. Nancy is also known for her beautiful voice, and is a member of the Honors Acapella Choir, as well as a frequent fixture in theatrical productions.
$600
$750

• Panini C.Apr 28, 2024 at 8:50 am

Hands down the best performance I’ve seen at the school!! Cady was amazing Regina, just wow, and the entire cast and crew did phenomenal!!!!! It was so fetch!