Playing badminton as team captain one last time

Photo by Isabela Casimiro

Badminton team captain Clarissa Vargas practices with her team in the Bishop gym.

By Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

For senior Clarissa Vargas, being the varsity team captain of badminton can put a load of pressure on her shoulders inside and outside the court.

It’s hard being a captain because sometimes what we want isn’t what everyone else wants and that really takes a toll on all of us,” Vargas said.

But Vargas has found a way to deal with it.

“I would look at what I can do and make it (badminton) fun,” Vargas said.

Vargas has been playing badminton, both singles and doubles, since her freshman year and has managed to balance her school and sports life.

“I balance my sports and school life by forgetting about school while I’m at practice or on the court and then focusing on school right when I get home,” Vargas said.

Meeting new people, having fun, and passing time were several reasons why Vargas decided to play badminton.

As the captain, Vargas has discovered creating a team bond is the most important thing to do.

“We really focus on coming together and making decisions as one rather than everyone just taking it all inside,” Vargas said.

Although Vargas has contributed a lot to her own success as a badminton player, her coach has played a significant role as well.

“My coach plays a big role in my matches,” Vargas said. “He always tries to make us better and help us keep our head in the game.”

Badminton has shaped her into being a better athlete and person.

I have changed a lot as a person because playing a sport really shows you how to push yourself and show perseverance whether you’re winning or losing the game,” Vargas said.

The feeling of sadness overwhelms Vargas as this is her last year in badminton.

“I feel so sad at thinking that this is my last year on the court and thinking that I won’t be here next year is taking a toll on me because of the fact that I have grown so much as a person through the program,” Vargas said. “For that, I have to thank coach Lech, coach Monken, and coach Hill for really teaching me what it means to be a better player and a better person. They have made my last four years amazing and being on the varsity team for three years has really taught me that whatever I set my mind to I can do.”

For those planning on playing badminton next year, Vargas has a few words of advice.

“I would say to just try their hardest. To push themselves and know what they can do,” Vargas said.