For the first time WeGo Drama’s musical is chosen to perform at the Illinois High School Theatre Festival

Senior Ricky Gieser is one of the students who perform at the  Illinois High School Theatre Festival.

Senior Ricky Gieser is one of the students who perform at the Illinois High School Theatre Festival.

By Ariana Alcantar, Multimedia Editor

For the first time, a musical from the school has been selected to perform at Illinois High School Theatre Festival.

WeGo Drama will perform their most recent musical “We Will Rock you (School Edition).”  

“I’m very proud of them (students), it is a nice treat, the students work so hard. The entire program is now recognized and being able to do our show, again, for people all over the state is really really cool,” Wego Drama director Mark Begovich said.

The drama department submitted the musical for selection, then it was judged by representatives from the Theatre Festival during their performance on Nov. 16-18, and it was later selected by the festival committee.

“Students were very excited, it’s an honor. It is a huge compliment to the work they did,” Begovich said.

For some actors, it’s a dream come true.

“Being selected for Theatre Fest is absolutely amazing. I’ve always wanted to perform there, and now I am,” senior Ricky Gieser said.

The musical will be performed Jan. 10 at 5 p.m. in the auditorium for free as a final rehearsal.

The festival will take place Jan. 11 to Jan. 13 at Illinois State University.

The trip will take three days. They will perform Jan. 11 in the evening, and see what is known as the all-state show on Jan. 12.

“It is the nation’s largest high school performing arts festival, it’s an amazing three-day weekend full of a variety of performances, workshops, college additions, with over 4,000 thousand participants,” Begovich said.“It’s non-stop, it’s one of the greatest learning experiences for any student.”

WeGo Drama will fundraise for the event through bake sales and hot chocolate sales.