$600
$750

Cute and cuddly community dog wash

NHS members host dog wash for personal leadership project.
Sophia+Newell+and+Emily+Hanania+posing+with+a+handsome+clean+dog+Atlas.+
Photo by Alyssa Apostoli
Sophia Newell and Emily Hanania posing with a handsome clean dog Atlas.

NHS members Sophia Newell and Emily Hanania hosted a charity dog wash at the school’s plateau on April 28.

In addition to the refreshing baths, NHS members added an extra touch of care by offering homemade treats specially crafted for the furry visitors. These delicious goodies delighted the dogs and ensured they left with wagging tails and satisfied tummies.

Furthermore, to complete the pampering experience, a variety of collars in all sizes were available for purchase, allowing pet owners to dress their companions in style while supporting the charity’s noble cause.

“Giving back like this is so important because most of the time, local small businesses do not receive proper funding or support from the community, which both are necessary to achieve their goals. Our hope with this fundraiser was to help out the shelter with donations and raise awareness to their mission: to find these dogs homes.” Hanania said

The motivation behind Newell and Hanania’s initiative was rooted in both selflessness and practicality: recognizing the widespread need for charitable support and the enduring popularity of dog-related activities, Newell saw an opportunity to merge the two in a meaningful way. By offering a service that benefits pet owners and contributes to a worthy cause, Newell hoped to draw in a diverse crowd eager. Her belief in the inherent goodness of people and their willingness to support charitable endeavors guided her decision to organize the event, showcasing her dedication to making a positive impact in the community through creative and compassionate means.

Sophia Newell talks to the dogs in a soothing voice yet it doesn’t quite work for Canelo. (Photo by Alyssa Apostoli)

“We wanted to host the dog wash because we thought it would be a good way to help out the shelter, and everyone likes dogs. So we thought we could get a lot of people here,” Newell said.

Newell and Hanania set out a modest goal of raising $250 for the shelter 4 Paws 4 U 4 Ever.

“Our original goal was $250 and I think we’re probably at $150 so far, and it’s only 1:30. So hopefully we get some more people coming,” Newell said.

By the end of the day, the duo, supported by a team of NHS members, determination and community spirit, had far surpassed their initial target. The final tally stood at an impressive $328, leaving Newell and Hanania ecstatic, and the charity overwhelmed with gratitude. 

“Overall I think they should do this again it was cute and I think it was worth it to get the dogs a bath and not have to get all messy,” senior Mariana Acosta said.

Newell and Hanania, orchestrated a heartwarming initiative to give back to their community by organizing a dog wash fundraiser. The project, conceived back in October, finally came to fruition after months of meticulous planning and coordination. Spearheaded by Newell and Hanania, the event aimed not only to raise funds for a local animal shelter but also to raise awareness about the shelter’s mission of finding loving homes for dogs in need.

“The dog wash was great. I thought it was a great idea and an awesome way to raise money and spend time outside and together as a group. They were well organized and kept it fun. My dog had fun and loved playing in the water. They did a great job,” spanish teacher Elizabeth Mastroianni said

Even on the windy day of April 28th, the team comes together to help a charity in need. (Photo by Alyssa Apostoli)

Utilizing modern tools like Canva and social media platforms like Instagram, Newell and Hanania promoted their event with colorful flyers and digital posts. Additionally, they took to the traditional method of hanging flyers around their school, ensuring maximum visibility for their cause. With the support of their sponsor, Mr. Caltagirone, who provided guidance and oversight, Newell and Hanania were able to navigate the complexities of organizing such an event, ensuring its smooth execution.

Reflecting on the significance of their initiative, Newell and Hanania emphasized the importance of supporting local small businesses and shelters, which often struggle due to insufficient funding and community support. By channeling their efforts into this fundraiser, they hoped to not only provide much-needed assistance to the shelter through donations but also to shed light on the vital work they do in finding homes for dogs in need. This collaborative effort underscores the power of community-driven initiatives in making a tangible difference in the lives of both animals and humans alike.

“The owners of 4paws were pretty excited that we had this event, they need lots of help since they run it themselves out of their own backyard. I think it was pretty successful, and we’ve learned a ton from the process of planning and running it so things will hopefully be smoother next year when we do it again,” Newell said.