$600
$750

School spirit revived with return of Senior Superlatives

The crowning of Senior Superlatives occurred on the morning of May 2 after several days of campaigning.
Photo by Karidja Monjolo
Carolyn Flemming crowned the class of 2024’s ‘biggest flirt.’

On Thursday, May 2, at 7:30 a.m, a group of peer-nominated senior students gathered in front of West Chicago Community High School to be crowned the winners of their respective senior superlatives categories.

Categories included: class clown, life of the party, most school spirit, next on Broadway, biggest flirt and more. With 14 categories, all students had the opportunity to nominate a senior, but only seniors were permitted to vote for the winner.

Pep Club advisor and Spanish teacher Elizabeth Mastroianni has run the senior superlatives for the past two years with the help of Pep Club.

“Pep Club used to do superlatives back when I was a student here, and we hadn’t done them since I started working here, so when I started Pep Club, I thought it would just be such a fun activity for students and seniors to get involved in. I think it is super sweet to see a bunch of different personalities shine. I think giving seniors special traditions is so important to promote that Wildcat pride and get other students excited for their last year as Wildcats as well,” said Mastroianni.

Many students advocated and campaigned for themselves on social media in order gain more votes.

“In the beginning, I did campaign, but I waited to see if anyone else posted but nobody did so I was like just vote for me. I was still shocked when I won because I won against some great competitors. I feel like it means that I’m still at least a nice person and nice to parents,” said senior Valerie Harris.

Valerie Harris poses after being crowned “Most liked by parents”. (Photo by Karidja Monjolo)

Other students expressed their disbelief to even be nominated.

“I definitely did not campaign for this. It’s actually kind of embarrassing I won ‘most likely to be late for class,’ but I did, I was surprised when I found out I was on the ballot,” said senior Regan Miessler.

Each category had two or three people competing against each other, so the votes were unquestionably close.

“I enjoy this so much because it is so fun to see people get involved and excited about superlatives. It really shows other sides to our students that we might not always see! It is a silly way to get the senior class all involved in something,” Mastroianni said

West Chicago Community High School has brought back an old tradition with Senior Superlatives and in turn has impacted lives of students and staff.

“I enjoy this so much because it is so fun to see people get involved and excited about superlatives. It really shows other sides to our students that we might not always see! It is a silly way to get the senior class all involved in something,” Mastroianni said.