Park District hosts second annual Color Crawl

Runners will be covered in colored powder during the fun run, held at Kress Creek Farms.
Participants are showered with colored powder during last years event. (Photo courtesy of Sara Witteck)
Participants are showered with colored powder during last year’s event. (Photo courtesy of Sara Witteck)

West Chicago’s ARC Center is inviting families to come and join their annual Cinco De Mayo Color Crawl event happening on May 3 at Kress Creek Farms Park.

The Color Crawl is a way for families to celebrate Cinco De Mayo together on a 2-mile gravel road. The event, which kicks off at 6:00 p.m., is led by Sara Witteck, the Recreation Manager and event organizer and facilitator at the park district.

“This is our second year running it,” Witteck said. “It’s basically a family friendly, fun run. All ages are welcome: from being in a stroller all the way up to just walking the course. Throughout the course, the runners will be showered with colorful powder.”

The colored dye that the volunteers will be using is non-toxic and made from colored, food grade cornstarch. It is the same powder commonly used for gender reveals or birthday parties.

“It’s a lot of fun. It’s also a lot of fun for our volunteers. Our volunteers love just kind or spraying people with the color powder and having a lot of fun with that,” Witteck said.

This year, the Color Crawl was moved later in the evening in the hopes that if the weather were to be warm, the evening temperatures would cool off a bit; nevertheless it is not expected for the weather to be anywhere but warm on May 3. However, if the weather starts to take a turn for the worse, as in lightning or a storm, the Color Crawl may be canceled.

“We do have a timer that will be set out so runners can see their time, but it’s not meant to be a timed race. It’s more of just a family friendly run,” Witteck said.

West Chicago residents are required to pay a registration fee of $20, while outside residents pay $24. A deadline of April 21 was set to be gifted a t-shirt after registration, but there is still a chance to receive an extra if available at the event.

The runners will be provided with snacks, such as granola bars, and water bottle, in their goody bags.

Compared to last year’s number of about 88 runners, the number of registered attendees this year is 51. Witteck suggested the enrollement could be due the fact that this event is not taking place on Cinco de Mayo. 

“We’re looking at adding some stuff for next year, possibly adding some food trucks, you know, margaritas,” Witteck said.

The VIP (Volunteers in Parks) program has partnered up with Young Men Service from Glenbard North High School Lead to allow students to complete their community service hours by volunteering at events. Volunteers will be scattered along the path preparing to throw the colored cornstarch at the runners as they make their way down the path. These are students from West Chicago Community High School and many other schools within Illinois, whom have taken the form to volunteer at the events such as Color Crawl.

“[The events] honestly seem like a good way to meet new people and connect with my community more,” Michelle Gallegos, a freshman at West Chicago Community High School, said.