$575
$750

Another ROAR in the books as students gather to form connections

ROAR concluded the 2023-24 season on March 7.
Photo by Mariah Varnado
Students participate in teambuilding activities during the last ROAR of the school year.

Looking for Brandon M. Heath’s ROAR video? Click here.

West Chicago Community High School hosted its last ROAR of 2023-24 in the library on March 7.

There was just one thing different about this ROAR: it was the last event of the school year, and that meant it was a lot of seniors’ last ROAR ever. For some, like senior mentor Dinah Humphrey, ROAR has been a memorable and impactful experience.

“ROAR has left a lasting impact on others within our school, and it never fails to put a smile on my face,” Humphrey said.

ROAR, an event held twice a semester, aims to help students meet other people, engage with others in a positive way, and share their experiences. On March 7, students who attended ROAR played a couple of get-to-know-you games, and then split into small groups for teambuilding activities and discussions. Later in the day, the group would hear from guest speaker Richard Kost, an AVID teacher retiring later this year.

ROAR also offers a safe space for students to discuss their concerns and doubts with student leaders, and realize they are not alone.

Mentors and participants come together to form connections during the March 7 ROAR event in the Learning Resource Center. (Photo by Mariah Varnado)

ROAR aims to help people realize that “other people in the school that are experiencing the same thing and can support me through my journey,” adviser Jen Culbertson said.

ROAR also brings different people together who might never have crossed paths. Students at all grade levels are invited to attend at least once during their high school career.  Some mentors, such as senior Rudra Gor, believe ROAR is the reason why some students become friends with other people they normally would not have.

“We are a more connected community for those who choose to come to ROAR,” Culbertson said.

ROAR is meant to be a place of welcome, support and kindness.  In the fall of each year, students apply to become mentors, hoping to help set the environment. Some are selected as directors, and they have much to do with the behind-the-scenes elements of ROAR.  They schedule outings, organize the ROAR event, and communicate with the mentors and staff. For most, being involved in ROAR is a learning experience.

“The  ROAR experience has led me to so many amazing friendships and opportunities, and after three years, I am still happy to be involved with this organization,” junior Michaela Miller said.