$575
$750

Popular vintage store reopens doors to wider variety of customers

The Whistle Stop’s change in location allows room for more customers to browse and try on items.
Photo by Sebastian Alarcon
Store owner Isaac Nelson stands in front of the shop’s mural; The Whistle Stop recently relocated to Main Street in downtown West Chicago

The Whistle Stop, a vintage thrift store in West Chicago, reopened in a new establishment at 113 Main Street on March 9 after being temporarily closed since Feb. 16 due to the pending location change. 

The Whistle Stop opened in February last year, and has gained customers and positive reviews since then. Recently, upon searching for the shop online, a user would see that the thrift store was temporarily closed: this was due to a location change. Thanks to the business’ growth, the owners moved the shop into a larger establishment to display clothing and retain more customers, as announced on Instagram in February.

The owner of The Whistle Stop, Isaac Nelson, who is also an alum of West Chicago Community High School, reports that the main reason for the change was the need for space.

“We had a crazy amount of growth this year and our inventory has grown from about two-thousand items to six-thousand. I knew that our old location was going to be short-term,” Nelson said. 

Previously, The Whistle Stop called 108 Galena Street home, but Nelson believes that the new location will attract customers due to being able to store online items in a basement instead of off-site.

“It basically doubles the amount of items we have. I’m really excited about this new space, and I really hope that it does attract more customers,” Nelson said.

Not only is the location bigger, but it is also more convenient because it offers multiple bathrooms for employees and customers. The shop has become a local favorite, especially among WEGO students.

“I’m really happy that there’s a store like that in West Chicago, I think we need more so people visit the small businesses around here. I think the new place will be cool, and I hope people go to see it,” senior Mariana Acosta said. 

Many locals believe The Whistle Stop is a great addition to the downtown area, and the vintage pieces are worth the trek. 

“I haven’t seen [the new location] yet, but I want to ’cause the clothes are tough and peak,” junior Antwan Angeles said.

With a bigger establishment, Nelson hopes to be more inclusive with the shop’s variety of clothing.

“Moving forward, a big focus of ours is going to be to find a balance between men’s and women’s clothing, and make sure all our options can be accessible to everyone at all the places we sell,” Nelson said.

View Comments (1)
$575
$750

About the Contributors
Ja'Nyah Villa
Ja'Nyah Villa, Senior Reporter
Ja'Nyah is a sophomore this year and in her first semester of Journalism production. She is very driven and dedicated to her schoolwork and extracurricular activities. Outside of Journalism, Ja'Nyah is an active member of Wego Drama and her hobbies include reading and listening to music. In the future, Nyah hopes to pursue a career in literary editing or journalism after college.
Emily Ziajor
Emily Ziajor, Multimedia Manager
Emily Ziajor is a WEGO senior in her second year of journalism. She attended the National High School Journalism Convention last November, and thoroughly loved the experience. She is a Polish-American (she finished her final year of Polish School in the spring of 2023) with a creative soul and high aspirations. When it comes to writing, she has a sharp imagination, and one of her true passions is photography. Emily is a multi-year member of the AV Club at West Chicago Community High School.
Sebastian Alarcon
Sebastian Alarcon, Multimedia Content Creator
Sebastian Alarcon is a senior at WCCHS and a first-year journalism student. Formerly, he was a dedicated soccer player for 14 years. Sebastian is a very sociable, friendly, and charismatic individual who loves connecting with others. Currently, Sebastian works at Sonny Acres and is also in the process of deciding which college to attend out of state. When he is not studying or working, he plays tennis and does some boxing on the side. In his free time, Sebastian likes to listen to music for example rap, and Spanish rock, and also watch movies.
$575
$750

• ryMar 18, 2024 at 2:00 pm

the whistle stop is so fire. this article is valid.