Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

Sour Skittles really do offer a rainbow of flavor

These candies are addictively flavorful, and should be at the top of consumers’ lists.
Photo by Ja’Nyah Villa
The packaging gives off nostalgic vibes, particularly taking into account the old-school font.

A colorful rainbow suddenly appears in between the clouds on a gloomy, rainy day. Looking at the colors, one cannot help but feel curious: how would that rainbow taste?

Sour Skittles are the perfect candy, one that tastes like – yes – the rainbow. The flavors truly represent each color of the spectrum in the sky, and the tastebuds savor the sour coating.

Mars’ Skittles first appeared on the scene in the 1970s in Great Britain. Since then, the candy has become a staple for people who love sweet treats. While it may seem like Sour Skittles are a new edition to the line-up, this variety has actually been around since 2001.

The flavor of the Skittle can be a bit shocking when it first hits the tongue, but wait three seconds or so before the tang gives way to fruit. (Photo by Ja’Nyah Villa)

The Sour Skittles packaging is a bright green colors that cannot be missed on the shelf. The portable plastic bag can easily be placed in a backpack, ready to open – but cannot be resealed. The neatly-cut ridges ensure quick and easy access to the sour sensation, while the hip vibe of the old-school font on the bag provides customers with a sense of nostalgia.

These packages retail for about $1.99 per 1.8 oz. Such pricing seems a bit high considering the bag is only half full, but not altogether unexpected considering today’s standards.

The candy itself sends a shock of punching sour notes as it hits the tongue. For about three seconds, the sour shows up with intensity, but as the candy settles in the mouth, the sweet, original flavor of a Skittle resurfaces. The product has a tangy, fruity taste that lingers in one’s mouth even after the candy itself is gone.

When people think of sour candy, extreme ones, such as Warheads or Toxic Waste come to mind, but Sour Skittles really should replace both as the go-to. This candy does not just provide a sour sensation, but a collaboration of sweet fruitiness on the inside that forces the consumer to keep grabbing more.