$575
$750

Baseball season is officially underway

Spring training got started for all teams on Feb 22, and fans are now eagerly awaiting Opening Day.
There is a reason why baseball is considered America’s past time: there is nothing quite so exciting as Opening Day. (Royalty-free photo courtesy of The Boston Globe via Wikimedia Commons)

The crack of the baseball bat as it collides with the ball during warm-ups is unmistakable. The scent of hot dogs (no ketchup, of course – this is Chicago) fills the air, and the hum of excited fans, eager to see their favorite players come out of the dugout, is a feeling like no other.

February 22 was a great day for baseball fans, as spring training got started. Although the official Opening Day is March 28, the season will kick-off with the Seoul Series, the first spring training game was between the newly-formed Dodgers and the Padres, which, incidentally, will be played in Korea.

The Dodgers opened up their own spring training season with 8 runs in the first inning, and are expected to have one of the best seasons in baseball history after signing Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto. News of these two players joining the Los Angeles team shook the baseball world; with these two signings, the team’s combined spending on just two players surpassed $1 billion.

At just 20 years old, Jackson Holliday is one of the league’s top players; he will help catapult the Orioles this season. (Royalty-free photo by Bryan Green via https://www.flickr.com/photos/begreen90/52297830106/in/faves-195925043@N06/, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=133830111)

Spring training is usually a time for prospects to show off and develop their skills. Jackson Holliday, a 20-year-old player out of Oklahoma, is still the MLB’s top prospect. He plays for the Baltimore Orioles, and adding that young prospect to the team will make them World Series contenders. Jackson is the son of Matt Holliday, who is a probable Hall of Famer, so baseball runs in the family.

Looking at other top prospects, Pete Crow-Armstrong, who plays for the Chicago Cubs, is expected to be a huge contender for them this year as they compete for the NL Central. Crow-Armstrong is the Cub’s #1 prospect, so he is going to perform well. Although the Cubs have had a few off years, the Chicago team surprised many this year with the addition of Shota Imanaga, known as “The Throwing Philosopher”, who hails from Japan. Cody Bellinger’s resignation also came as a shock to Cubs fans, but rumor has it that the outfielder/first baseman is in talks to return for another three years; the Cubs have not confirmed. Either way, this team can and will surprise a lot of people in the 2024 season.

Another player to watch this year? Paul Skenes is the best pitching prospect, currently ranked #3 overall on the MLB prospect list. Skenes is going to have to step up big time this year for the Pirates as Pittsburgh will likely be one of the worst teams. Unfortunately, this team is young, and their inexperience is probably going to lead to frequent and silly errors on the field. But, looking to the future, Skenes could set the Pirates up to be successful. Their other young players will hopefully develop their skills, and eventually get this team back into the playoffs.

Spring training is mostly a chance for the young guys to get used to playing with the established team, as the league veterans are still the key to winning. Still, it may be time for retirement for some players. Rich Hill is the oldest active player in the MLB; he has played 18 years in the league, and 13 different teams. He has one of the best curveballs, his most effective pitch, of all time. Hill is currently on the San Diego Padres, and this could be the last season of his career. Fans everywhere have to appreciate what he has done for the game, but with so many young players rising in the ranks, the face of baseball is likely to change in a major way over the next few years.