$575
$750

West Chicago family looks to abolish lawsuit on greenhouse

The City of West Chicago is suing a local family over an issue pertaining to the greenhouse in their backyard.
The+greenhouse+structure+that+the+Boveys+have+built+in+their+backyard+for+fostering+different+plants.+
Photo by Photo courtesy of Dan Bovey
The greenhouse structure that the Bovey’s have built in their backyard for fostering different plants.

On October 18, a family in the West Chicago community received a notice that the City of West Chicago would be taking them to court for the greenhouse that they had built from scratch in their backyard.

The news came as a surprise, as Dan and Jody Bovey, long-term residents of West Chicago originally received an approved permit to build a greenhouse in their backyard on December 1, 2020. Thus, construction began for their greenhouse in 2021. 

The family wanted the greenhouse in their yard so they could grow their own fruits and vegetables. Also, to house delicate plants and keep plants safe in the wintertime. 

“Vegetables like lettuce, tomatoes, green beans. Fruits like berries, ornamental plants. Some things will stay in the dome. Some things will start in the winter and get planted outside in the spring. We have an avocado tree and a couple citrus trees in there now. We hope they’ll bear fruit, but we are still learning,” Dan Bovey said.

The permit was renewed on July 18, 2022; however, when the family applied for a renewal this year, they were denied. The Boveys received a notice on October 18 that the City of West Chicago was taking them to court for failure to obtain a new permit within 30 days of the previous permit expiring. The notice ordered the family to remove the greenhouse entirely and restore their yard to its original stature. 

The entrance of the greenhouse, which has a rotundra-like shape. (Photo courtesy of Dan Bovey)

Since then, the family has been working with lawyer Jeff Jacobson. The Boveys are trying to work with the City of West Chicago in the hopes that they will withdraw the case. 

“We hired a lawyer, Jeff Jacobson, to defend us. We are asking the community to ask the mayor and City Council to vacate the case against us and renew the permit,” Dan Bovey said. 

Community members have been rallying behind the Boveys and supporting them through the lawsuit. A Facebook group called “Savethegreenhouse” has grown in popularity and now has 153 members.

Rebecca Ann Holmes, a member of this Facebook group, is planning to print signs that supporters of the greenhouse can place in their front yards.

Mayor Pineda was contacted by the Wildcat Chronicle via email on November 8, but did not respond as of publication.

“The matter in which you seeking comment is currently pending litigation, and as such, City officials are not able to speak about it.  In fact, I was informed that the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) presiding over this case specifically stated that the parties are only to communicate through their lawyers and in the hearing itself.  The City will not disobey or disrespect the directive that the ALJ issued,” Michael Guttman, city administrator, said to the West Chicago Voice on Nov. 1.

On November 6, community members appeared at the City Council meeting and presented an 800-person petition calling on the city to abandon their intentions of making the Boveys tear down the greenhouse.

The following morning, the City of West Chicago posted a “No Work” notice on the Boveys’ door.

Since then, the family has decided to make a collage of art that promotes the community’s efforts to save the greenhouse, and they have placed the artwork around the “No Work” notice on their door.

“They have followed rules and they have evidence to prove it. They want to do everything by the rules and they just want to be treated fairly,” community member Lauren Wolfe said.

This story was updated to include additional quotes from community members. There is a further update to this story as well: for more information, visit “Boveys fined $20,000 for greenhouse“.

View Comments (4)
$575
$750

About the Contributor
Sasha Baumgartner
Sasha Baumgartner, Editor-in-Chief
Sasha is a senior, and this is her third year being a part of the Wildcat Chronicle. She found a swift passion for journalism during her sophomore year, learning how to write for fun and in many different ways. She has continued with the paper since 2021. Outside of journalism, Sasha is a member of the WEGO Dance team, a ROAR mentor and a member of National Honors Society and WEGO Global at the high school. Sasha’s main hobbies outside of school include working at a retirement community serving guests in the dining room, spending time with friends and family, and finishing up work for the Wildcat Chronicle. In the future, Sasha plans to attend college for psychology to be able to help people on a daily basis. 
$575
$750

• Bruce Van ZanteNov 14, 2023 at 8:47 pm

Thank you for this informative article. It does seem that this greenhouse is positive for the community.

• Frank FehrenbachNov 14, 2023 at 3:53 pm

Keep up the good work

• Frank FehrenbachNov 14, 2023 at 3:47 pm

Great article. Well written. Factual. No bias. Keri up the great work Sasha.

• Steve StrongNov 14, 2023 at 11:35 am

This is so unfair. I pray truth and justice will prevail.