$575
$750

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK 2023-24

APRIL 7-12: Sophomore Peter O’Brien is this week’s pick for Athlete of the Week. According to Coach Madden, “Peter has played a critical role for the Wildcat tennis team this year. He serves as one of our captains and is on our 1st Doubles team! He consistently puts effort into getting better and has been a great teammate for the squad and with his doubles partner as well! Nice work Peter!” (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Chris Pena and Lifetouch)
Aug. 27-Sept. 2: With two touchdowns and an outstanding tackle that prevented Bartlett from scoring at the end of last night’s history-making game, senior Vincent Muci is the Chronicle’s first Athlete of the Week of the year. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using an image shared by Lifetouch)
Sept. 3-9: With 10 assists, 7 digs, 7 kills, and 3 aces against Bartlett on Tuesday, and a solid volleyball track record with both WEGO and Club Fusion, senior Trinity Nelson was the natural choice for Athlete of the Week. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using an image shared by Lifetouch)
Sept. 10-16: Not only did senior Cora Garling earn the most individual points at the Wildcat Invite on Sept. 16, but she also won won the 100 breaststroke on Thursday with a season best time. Garling was 10th in the 500 free, and 6th in the 100 breast on Saturday, both with new season best times (1:13.02 for breaststroke). She was also part of the 7th place medley relay and anchored in the 5th place 400 free relay. Garling has had a strong career as a swimmer at WEGO, and is most deserving of Athlete of the Week. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using an image shared by Lifetouch)
Sept. 17-23: With his impressive hat-trick (three goals in one game) on Sept. 20 against Fenton, senior Rafa Posada helped lead the Wildcats to victory, 4-2. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Lifetouch and reporter Chris Pena)
Sept. 24-30: On Monday, senior Miranda Enochs received all-conference recognition – the highest individual athletic accomplishment a high school athlete can receive in Illinois. Coach Abdishi praised Enochs’ work this season, as the golfer shot in the 40s at several matches. According to Enochs: “I’m not always happy with my scores but I’ happy with how much I’ve improved in the small amount of time that I’ve played.” (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Lifetouch and Pexels) (Photo by Emily Ziajor) (Photo by Emily Ziajor)
Oct. 1-7: This past Saturday at Black Sail XC Invitational, Judah took first place overall, competing against 13 other schools and 109 varsity runners. He recorded another PR (personal record) covering the 3 mile course in a time of 15:27. This is Judah’s fourth race this season with a top 10 finish. Last year, as a sophomore, Judah qualified for Sectionals; this season he hopes to make it all the way to State. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Lifetouch and Azamat Hatypov via Pexels)
Oct. 1-7: At Saturday’s Black Sail Invite, hosted by Belvidere High School, Jessica Balmer ran over a minute under her PR for the season. She beat her lifetime PR by 30 seconds. Balmer was the Wildcats’ first finisher at the meet, and was ranked 14th out of 108 runners. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Lifetouch and Azamat Hatypov via Pexels)
Oct. 8-14: Sophomore Julia Koput is the youngest player on the Varsity tennis team, but that has not stopped her from achieving a 17-3 record this season. Most recently, she placed second in her flight in the UEC conference tournament last weekend, and helped the team place second overall in conference. As Coach Baker said, “With all but three of our players graduating this year WEGO tennis is lucky to have one of the rising stars in the UEC returning to help lead our team next year.” (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Lifetouch and by reporter Chris Pena)
Oct. 15-21: Senior Aldo Alfaro was instrumental in helping the boys’ soccer team bring home the IHSA Regional tournament win. Alfaro played a strong offensive game against Addison Trail on Oct. 20 at St. Charles North, and scored one of the two goals that allowed WEGO to grab the regional championship title. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using an image shared by Lifetouch, and a photo taken by reporter Chris Pena)
Oct. 15-21: Junior Tommy Doyle not only made some major catches that helped the football team keep their drives going, but his interception in the last minutes of the Oct. 20 game against Larkin allowed West Chicago to score its fifth touchdown and cinch the game. Thanks to Doyle’s work on the field, and a great showing by the entire team, the Wildcats are play-off eligible for the first time in 21 years. (Photo by Emily Ziajor)
Oct. 22-28: Captain and libero Regan Miessler, a senior, led in serve receives with 13 attempts (and 9 digs on defense) at the girls’ regional volleyball match this week. Throughout the season, Miessler has stood out for her skills on the court, ending the season with an impressive 403 digs. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using an image from Lifetouch)
Oct. 29-Nov. 4: Junior Mia Marin was part of WEGO’s third place medley relay at the IHSA Sectional meet on Oct. 4. She then finished in third in the 100 butterfly with a lifetime best of 59.98, breaking the 1:00 barrier for the first time in her career in the event. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff with image from Lifetouch)
Nov. 12-18: After scoring 25 points in Nov. 13’s McIntosh Classic, junior point guard Jasmyn Trigueros earned her 1,000th high school career point. She is considered one of the leading players in the area, and led the Wildcats in scoring in three games this past week alone. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff with image from Lifetouch)
Nov. 26-Dec. 2: Averaging about 13 points per game, senior Jack Walsh is leading the Varsity basketball team in scoring, and made four three-point shots at this week’s game against Bartlett. Walsh was also named to the All-Tournament Team during the Thanksgiving tournament. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using image from Lifetouch)
Dec. 3-9: In her second year of wrestling, junior Susana Correa is “putting in the work,” according to teammates. Her fourth place finish after four hard-fought rounds (in a full bracket with pigtail matches) during Friday night’s meet is a testament to how far she has come. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle staff using images by Giselle Cortez and Lifetouch)
Dec. 17-23: Senior Ellie Wingstedt is one of the girls’ basketball team’s leading scorers this season, and has helped the Wildcats achieve 11 wins, and a third place conference ranking. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle staff using image by Chuck Baumgartner and Leslie Fireman)
Jan. 7-13: Junior Katelyn Colombo has been a pivotal member of the dance team these past few years, and during Tuesday’s dance team competition, where her performance was a testament to the hard work she has been putting in. Her teammates say Colombo has “made considerable improvements as a dancer this year,” and that it has been exciting to watch her come out of her comfort zone this season. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Sasha Baumgartner and Lifetouch)
Jan. 14-20: After putting up 16 points and 5 rebounds against Streamwood, senior Caleb Giannokis’ coach called him “very hard working” and “an awesome teammate.” Giannokis has made marked improvements this season. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Carlos Allen and Lifetouch)
Jan. 21-27: After an “incredible” showing at the IHSA Regional competition on Jan. 25-26, senior Jenny Espinal is guaranteed a spot at Sectionals. Throughout the season, Espinal has placed well despite tough competition: she medaled at the Larkin Lady Royal Rumble, Maine East Invitational, and most recently, the Kaneland Invitational. Espinal has been a top wrestler this season, and made a name for herself in the UEC conference, and in the state. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Giselle Cortez and Lifetouch)
Jan. 21-27: Senior Jayden Huesca Rodriguez is no stranger to the podium: she was the first girls’ wrestling state champion in her weight class in 2022, and runner-up in 2023. After what her coach, Mason Day, described as an “incredible” performance in the IHSA Regional competition this weekend, Huesca is looking to add another championship to her resume. She continues to prove herself to be a fighter on the mat. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Giselle Cortez and Lifetouch)
Jan. 28-Feb. 3: Senior Brady Johnson broke two individual pool records (in the 100 free and 100 breaststroke) this past weekend at the UEC Championship meet. He was also part of the record-breaking 400 free relay team. Brady is currently ranked the #1 swimmer in Illinois (via SwimCloud) and is holding onto the fastest times in the state in the 50 free, 100 free, and 100 backstroke. (Photo illustration created by Emily Ziajor using image by Lifetouch)
Feb. 25-March 2: As spring sports begin, our Athlete of the Week highlights resume, too! Congrats to senior Mathew Dewees, who is described by Coach Belding as “a big, friendly giant.” This team player is a returning runner who beat his previous PR in the 55-meter dash on Friday, completing the race in 9.05 seconds. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Chris Pena and Lifetouch)
March 3-9: In an impressive 9.21 seconds, senior Adeline Draper smashed the school’s record in the 60 hurdles at the Armory (University of Illinois) on March 9. Draper took first in the event against students from all over the state, and is making good strides toward becoming part of WEGO’s IHSA state bid later this season. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Chris Pena and Lifetouch)
March 10-16: Tyler Heath’s pitching this week was on point, with four strikeouts and three innings in which no runs were earned during the game against Hoffman Estates. Heath, a senior, went 2-4 with a single and a double as well, helping the Wildcats secure the win. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Carlos Allen and Lifetouch)
March 17-23: Leslie Garnica-Alanis is a leader on and off the field, according to her coach. Her technical ability technically helps the team get organized, and means she can play either offense or defense. Garnica-Alanis demonstrated solid skill in the championship game this past week, scoring two goals, and being named tournament MVP. (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Leslie Garnica-Alanis and Chris Pena)
March 24-30: Yohana Mora’s hard work and motivation is apparent as this Varsity caption is at #1 singles this year. Mora qualified for state as a junior, and is looking likely to return this year. According to her coach, Yohana Mora is “an incredible person on and off the court.” (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images from Alexa Morales and Lifetouch)
March 31-April 6: Already, freshman Phillip Cabrera is making his mark on the Varsity volleyball team. According to Coach Bell, “He is currently leading the team in serving with 6 aces on the season so far, as well as leading in defense with 40 digs. Additionally, he is our primary passer on serve receive, currently holding the highest serve receive percentage on the team.” (Photo illustration created by Wildcat Chronicle Staff using images by Carlos Allen and Lifetouch)