Students celebrate Rainbow Week hunting Easter eggs

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

Hoping to spread positivity, GSA invited students to hunt for paper Easter eggs in exchange for a prize as a part of Rainbow Week.

“It is a fun way for the students in the building to participate in our Rainbow Week,” GSA adviser Christina Sladek said. “We as a club spread awareness and show support to help the LGBTQ students in the building who feel very alone. It’s a way to show them that we care.”

Paper Easter eggs are hidden around the building including the cafeteria, LRC, the student activity center, bathrooms, and classrooms.

“On one side of the paper easter egg, there is a (different) word printed, the words have a positive meaning or inspirational meaning, and on the back, there are heart stickers with a number on it,” Sladek said.

Paper eggs can be turned in during all lunch hours for a prize.

“We thought it would be a fun way to spread a positive message with the words, as well as to get a good amount of students in the building to recognize and become aware of Rainbow Week,” Sladek said.

During all lunch hours, GSA will also be selling Rice Krispies, pretzels and rainbow cookies for $1 each.

“Any proceeds that we get from the bake sale will go to an LGBTQ nonprofit organization in our area,” Sladek said.

Students and staff can also donate 25 cents and write their name on a “hand” to support the LGBTQ community.

The club is also inviting students and staff to participate in their spirit week by wearing a different rainbow color. Although the week ended Friday, the colors continue through Tuesday. Monday is blue for harmony, and Tuesday is purple for spirit.