Community pleads for Board of Education to end ongoing contract negotiations

Gay+Straight+Alliance+%28GSA%29+and+Anime+Club+member+sophomore+Angel+Aranda+expresses+his+feelings+and+thoughts+in+regards+to+the+ongoing+contract+negotiations.+

Photo by Mayeli VIvaldo

Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) and Anime Club member sophomore Angel Aranda expresses his feelings and thoughts in regards to the ongoing contract negotiations.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

Over 100 people heard pleas from the community and students to resolve ongoing contract negotiations at the board meeting on Tuesday.

For almost two years, the West Chicago Teachers’ Association and Board of Education have been negotiating teacher contracts. Negotiations began April 2016. The Association agreed to an extension which expired Aug. 13, 2017.

Before the board meeting, the Association held an informational picketing outside the school.

At the board meeting, during public participation, six people spoke.

One parent expressed the seriousness and severity of the ongoing negotiations.

“We are entering dangerous waters. When the talk turns to federal mediators, informational picketings, final contract offers, declaring an impasse, and the public posting of the offers, bad things can happen to a good school district,” Bob Brown said. “It is well beyond the time for posturing. It is a time to find a way to compromise.”

Another parent and community member asked the board, once again, to conclude the contract negotiations.

“I’m here tonight to encourage you to positively and quickly resolve the contract negotiations. I could almost repeat the script from the 19th (of December), it’s time to give our teachers the excellent contract they deserve,” Tom Tipton said.

Several students from clubs affected by the Association decision to end teacher volunteer participation in clubs and afterschool activities without compensation spoke in regards to the decision and voiced their support and gratitude for teachers.

“Our teachers are professionals and people with amazing character. They are dedicated to their students. They have no incentive to remain, yet they choose to. By choosing to sacrifice their personal finance our teachers have proven themselves to be fully invested in each one of us students,” senior and Compass member Yesenia Munoz said. “How can you assert yourselves (Board of Education) to be in the best interest of teachers and students when your choices take away opportunities and leave teachers with the feeling of disrespect and unvalue?”

Munoz explained why the Board of Education should give teachers a fair contract.

“This conflict is not a competition. Offering teachers a fair contract is simply treating them with the respect they are due. It is affirming that you recognize the impact they have made in our lives. It is declaring that you hold their talents and dedication in high regards,” she said. “The time has come for choices to be made and acted upon. Either your choices or your actions will express what you hold most important. Do you want them to reflect your pride, your personal agendas, or validate what you claim to be your priority?”

Another Compass member spoke about his personal experience and connection to the club.

“I moved from Missouri about a year (ago). I was never really involved in clubs, but this year I got involved in Compass and I can’t even express how much it means to me,” junior Benjamin Hueber said. “To see all this going on with the clubs just breaks my heart. I’m just asking like everyone else here to make a fair contract for the teachers.”

Sophomore Angel Aranda, a Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) and Anime Club member addressed the effect the negotiations have had on him.

“I miss GSA and I miss Anime (Club). I used to let it all out (stress) with my friends after school (at clubs), but when my sister comes here as a freshman, I’m not sure she’ll be able to do that because there aren’t many clubs left,” he said. “I don’t know big numbers, but I don’t think it takes that much to pay our hardworking teachers.”

The Board of Education made no comment or statement regarding contract negotiations at the board meeting.