“Coco” gives accurate insight into Mexican culture

%E2%80%9CCoco%E2%80%9D+is+a+movie+created+by+Pixar+that+follows+a+boy+named+Miguel+Rivera+on+his+mission+to+fulfill+his+dreams+of+becoming+a+musician+and+of+finding+his+forgotten+great+grandfather.+
“Coco” is a movie created by Pixar that follows a boy named Miguel Rivera on his mission to fulfill his dreams of becoming a musician and of finding his forgotten great grandfather.

Photo by Pixar

Photo by Pixar

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in chief

“Coco” is a must-see animated film. The movie, created by Pixar, contains various important aspects of Mexican culture that everyone should experience and see.

“Coco” follows a boy named Miguel Rivera on his mission to fulfill his dreams of becoming a musician and of finding his forgotten great grandfather.

The movie focuses on the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead. The film did a wonderful job of describing the holiday and its traditions.

The “ofrendas” or altars that are put up during the Day of the Dead were not only accurate but beautiful.

I was left in awe by the amount of detail put into them.

The animators included, not only important aspects of ofrendas, or altars, like the marigolds that are put on them to guide the spirits, but little, fun details put on the ofrendas, like, not just food, but various other objects that remind us of our deceased family members.

Throughout the whole film, Pixar did a great job at describing the importance of this holiday and the significance of it.

The absolute best part of the depiction of the holiday was that the film included de “alebrijes” or spirit animals that are very important to Mexican culture, but not so commonly known outside of the culture.

To us, the spirit animals are guides in the afterlife. They are the ones that guide the spirits to their family’s house during Day of the Dead.

Besides the representation of the Day of the Dead, the film gave the audience a true and, most importantly, nonstereotypical insight into Mexico and its culture.

First, the design and art of the location reminded me so much of Mexico. The plazas, graves, and houses included in the film brought back memories of when I went to visit my grandfather in Mexico.

Even the little, almost insignificant objects, like the rusty steel bed frames, the wooden chairs, the windows, and dirt roads were nearly identical to those in my hometown in Mexico.

Music is very important to Mexican culture. I appreciated that the film did not only include the typical mariachi music used in many movies related to Mexican culture. Mariachi music is wonderful and very popular in our culture, but it’s not the only style of music there is. The movie included much more than just mariachi, like banda, marimba, and especially ranchera music.

All the different styles of music were perfectly played and sang.

Along with the music, the dances in the movie were amazing and fun. The traditional dances, displayed at the beginning of the film, were perfect and graceful.

I could go on for pages about the accurateness of the film.

It’s one of the few movies I have watched that portray my culture, not only in a perfect way, but in a way that leaves the audience wanting to know more about it.

The movie was funny, suspenseful, and very informative.

If you have the time to watch the film, please take the opportunity to do so. It’s a movie that will give a new perspective of Mexican culture, and to those who are Mexican, it will leave you feeling even more proud of your culture.