Chicago themed entry wins food contest

Staff members judged entries from the chili cook-off on Oct. 20. Activities director Marc Wolfe tries a Chicago themed dish that later won first place.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

Foods 2 students showed their competitive side in a chili cook-off where they presented their chili to judges.

The chili cook-off took place on Oct. 20

Sophomores Kelly Lynch, Alondra Cordero, Guadalupe Correa, Jose Correa, and junior Mariano Ballines won first place.

“Our theme was Chicago and we really did not expect to win so it was really cool to win,” Ballines said.

Students are encouraged to be creative in making their chili.

“The chili cook-off is where my foods 2 classes get together and create their own chili. They have to work together, create their own theme and present it in a way that is very appealing to our judges,” foods two teacher Meghan Klein said. “They can make a chili from scratch or find one online and modify it to their liking. But, their chili theme should match their chili ingredient,” Klein said.

First place winners took home embroidered aprons that said ‘chili cook-off champs’ with their names underneath.

“When I first started here, the chili contest had been going on for many years. However, it was told to me that it was the best chili contest we have seen so far,” Klein said.

Students are trusted to be independent in the contest and must work well with their peers.

“It is important to have the chili contest because it allows the students to be creative in what they are doing and find their own recipes and tie it together in their own theme,” Klein said.