WeGo Global collects donations for chickens

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

The rubber chicken trophy was up for grabs as students competed to win WeGo Global’s Chicken Challenge fundraiser.

WeGo Global works with Heifer International for this fundraiser.

“We’ve always worked with them. Part of what WeGo Global does is when we raise money we research the organizations that get the money because not all nonprofit organizations are the same,” adviser Maggie Haas said. “Some of them, when you donate money, more of it goes to pay for people’s salaries than actually helping people. We know Heifer International has a pretty solid reputation.”

The donations the club collects are used to buy chickens for people in need of them.

“The money gets distributed to the places they need it the most and then what they do is they use that money and spend it in the country where the chickens are going to be,” Haas said. “It provides chickens for food and chickens to lay eggs that you can sell. They can sell the chickens too. You can make money for your family that you can use to send kids to school, improve your house, or buy more land.”

The third hour class that raises the most money will win a donut party and the legendary rubber chicken trophy.

“What we found is that people are very motivated by the rubber chicken. It’s not the donuts, it’s the rubber chicken,” Haas said.

WeGo Global hopes the event helps students better understand the problems in the world.

“We live in a very privileged society here in the United States where even if we are in a situation where we don’t have much, we still have more than other people,” Haas said. “It’s a good lesson for adolescents to learn in terms of how you can help other people. Even if it’s just a chicken, although it might not seem like a big deal to us, it’s a huge deal for someone else.”