Squirrel Girl Goes to College (and the Theatre!)

From+left+to+right%3A+Vinny+Lamantia%2C+Hannah+Brown%2C+Katherine+Vander+Plaats%2C+Avery+Moffatt%2C+and+Daniela+Luna+

From left to right: Vinny Lamantia, Hannah Brown, Katherine Vander Plaats, Avery Moffatt, and Daniela Luna

From left to right: Philip Calabrese, Alex Bradley, Olivia Wesling, Katherine Vander Plaats, Nirali Kadakia, Mikail Herrera

WEGO Drama is gearing up for its second performance this season with Karen Zacarias’ Squirrel Girl Goes to College. The play, which is based on the Marvel Comics super hero Squirrel Girl, will run Friday, September 24, and Saturday, September 25 at 7:00 p.m. in the West Chicago Community High School auditorium.

Squirrel Girl Goes to College is a family-friendly play that follows the adventures of Doreen Green, a young super hero known for her squirrel-like abilities and tail, as she arrives at Empire State College hoping to make new friends. When her beloved professor disappears, Doreen must learn to trust others in order to protect them from villains, such as Doctor Doom and M.O.D.O.C.

WEGO Drama senior Olivia Wesling, who will take on the title role, said, “It is wonderful to play Squirrel Girl. She is such a
sweet character. She is ‘unbeatable’ because of her amazing attitude. The story about going to college and making friends is so relatable.”

Mikail Herrera, Daniela Luna, Maggie Hancock, and Katherine Vander Plaats rehearse a scene from Squirrel Girl Goes to College.

Directed by English teacher and WEGO Drama advisor Mark Begovich, the play also features numerous cast and crew, including seniors Hannah Brown, Philip Calabrese, Margaret “Maggie” Hancock, Ava Fini, Mikail “Kai” Herrera, Vincent Lamantia, Daniela Luna, Grace Miller, Elizabeth Ryan, Kathryn Wenberg, and Jazmin Wilkins; juniors Kenya Bahena, Elizabeth Hurley, Sarah Larimer, Alysa Solomon, Vincent Ross, and Katherine Vander Plaats; sophomores Alex Bradley, Carolyn Fleming, Christina Guo, Enaya Kazmi, Nirali Kadakia, and Leah “Avery” Moffatt, and freshman William Wenberg.

Lamantia said, “The show is sweet and special. I enjoy all the silly laughs.”

Brown added, “Bringing a comic book to life is pretty fun. I think the audience will feel good, because that is what we need right now- a hero who brings out the best in people.”

Tickets for the performances are $5 for students and $8 for adults, and are available at wegotheatre.com or at the door the night of the show. Proper masks must be worn by all audience members.