Sophomore Eleanor Rzeszut takes first place for FCCLA competition

Photo by Jennifer Chen

From left to right FCCLA adviser Brittney Bauer, seniors Alondra Reyes and Ana Sanchez, junior Sabrina Lutfiyeva, sophomore Ellie Rzeszut, and adviser Angela Gentile competed at the FCCLA competition on April 12 to 14.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

After practicing at regionals in February, FCCLA competed at the convention center in Springfield from April 12 to 14.

Only a few FCCLA members competed. Seniors Alondra Reyes and Ana Sanchez took second place in children’s literature, senior Nicholas Castelluccio took third place in preschool lesson plan, junior Sabrina Lutifiyeva took second place for international experience, and sophomore Eleanor Rzeszut took first place for apparel construction casual wear.  

As this is her first year in FCCLA, this is the first time Rzeszut has won a gold medal.

“I wanted was to show improvement from the regional competition,” Rzeszut said. “ But I was completely not expecting to get such a high grade.”

Different schools around Illinois participated in the competition.

“There are a lot of talented students in Illinois. As long as the students tried their best, Gentile and I are happy for them,” FCCLA adviser Brittney Bauer said.

There were many mixed reactions from the competitors towards the results.

“Many students were pleased (towards the results), some of them were disappointed at the judge’s comments,” Bauer said.

FCCLA is now getting ready for the regionals at the College of DuPage in February 2019.

“(I would want them to) improve based on judge’s comments and to get more students in the school involved,” Bauer said.