Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

A day of competitive drama performances

The Upstate Eight schools compete with group interpretation drama performances.
Photo by Sasha Baumgartner
All schools are given the same set pieces and they can arrange them in any way. Photography is not actually permitted during the competition.

Group Interpretation (GI) performances ruled the stage at West Chicago Community High School on Saturday March 9 as several schools’ drama departments, including WEGO, competed in the Upstate Eight Conference competition.

The final placements are based on each schools group interpretation performance. (Photo illustration created by Sasha Baumgartner via Canva).

The performances commenced with Fenton High School at 9 a.m. performing an interpretation of “Every bright thing.” Then Larkin High School took the stage with a performance of “Carrie” and WEGO concluded the morning shows with their group interpretation of “The Fossil Hunter.”

After lunch, Streamwood High School began with “The Lorax,” and Bartlett High School closed the show with “The Crucible.”

“A lot of us competed last year, but with different shows. Conference will be our first time competing with this year’s shows and first CPGI for a few cast members,” junior WeGo Drama member Alex Rocha said.

IHSA judges were present at the school to view and score each performance. There were also National Honor Society members from WCCHS there to assist with the event. Some volunteers timed the performances, while others escorted the judges to and from the auditorium.

“For me, overall, volunteering at drama, I like it, and as a whole, I enjoy it because I get to do things I’ve never done before. I’ve never been to a conference show before so it was cool to experience that,” junior NHS volunteer Miranda Bucio said.

The competition is a great opportunity for drama programs to share the art they have been working on. The competition is a way to watch other schools plays for learning purposes.

“There’s a lot more pressure – especially in our GI where there’s so many ensemble lines needing to be exact – there’s a lot of pressure to perform well and to add to it setup of and strike for both shows are timed,” junior WeGo Drama member Wilbur Cooper said.