$575
$750

“Little Life” movement takes over TikTok

What started as a sound that chronicled everyday life has spiraled into a trend that involves “testing” one’s partner or scaring the dog.
Photo by Emily Ziajor
Videos that correspond with the original “little life” trend often open with ethereal shots of meadows or flowers, such as these surrounding underclassman Natalie Ziajor.

What is popular on TikTok goes up and down quickly; however, the “I think I like this little life” trend has taken over many ‘for you’ pages, and continues to morph into new interpretations even four months after it got its start.

The “little life” idea grew very popular in November 2023, when people began to pair the sound, which features the song “Little Life” by Cordelia, with images and videos that featured quiet and aesthetic moments in their life. People were inspired to make content, often romanticized, about their personal lives that lots of viewers found relatable and even amusing.

“I love the trend and I think it should continue,” senior Ellie Wingstedt said.

At once point, TikTok users started to capture a short clip of their pet doing something strange or humorous and post it with either the song or a voiceover of them singing the song to their pet. These reels easily became viral within hours, and the videos continued to engage users because of the seemingly funny and random content.

However, some teens find the trend annoying because Gen Y has taken part, and they consider TikTok more of a teenager-based platform. The trend has been called ‘cringe’ or ‘repetitive’ because of the song’s over-use, and has now become somewhat of a mockery.

I think the trend is dumb, and I don’t find it funny,” junior Tommy Murphy said. 

The hashtag for this movement is currently sitting at 452 million views on TikTok, and while most of these videos consist of someone following the original trend, or with a voiceover about their everyday lives, the trend has evolved in recent weeks. 

First, Kelsey Grammer’s daughter, Greer, was called out for using the song to post video of herself traveling by private jet, prompting larger conversations about wealth and humility. TikTok users started parodying the original idea, pairing the sound with text about people who wronged them in the past.

Then, Gen Y users thought it was funny to scare their significant other by gasping and yelling, “I think I like this little life” to see if the other person jumped.

And now, the latter idea has been applied to pets: users record themselves scaring their animals.

Like so many trends on TikTok, a simple song became well-known, all because of TikTok’s algorithm and influencers’ creativity. While it is impossible to know where this trend will go next, Cordelia’s song has brought people together for their shared interests or lifestyles, despite some of the videos with the trend’s controversial content. 

View Comments (1)
$575
$750

About the Contributors
Sami Moesch
Sami Moesch, Senior Reporter
Sami is a sophomore; this is her first year as a reporter for the Chronicle, and she joined because she wanted to try something new. When she is not busy reporting, Sami plays Varsity soccer in the spring at WEGO, and throughout the year with a local club team. When Sami is relaxing, she usually listens to Taylor Swift, but also tunes into other artists such as The Neighborhood, Gracie Abraham, Clairo, and Lana. She passes the time by watching two of her favorite shows “Gilmore Girls” and “Pretty Little Liars”. Her future is uncertain: Sami does not yet know what she wants to do as a career, but keeps her doors open for possibilities.
Emily Ziajor
Emily Ziajor, Multimedia Manager
Emily Ziajor is a WEGO senior in her second year of journalism. She attended the National High School Journalism Convention last November, and thoroughly loved the experience. She is a Polish-American (she finished her final year of Polish School in the spring of 2023) with a creative soul and high aspirations. When it comes to writing, she has a sharp imagination, and one of her true passions is photography. Emily is a multi-year member of the AV Club at West Chicago Community High School.
Jordy Carrillo
Jordy Carrillo, Reporter
Jordy is a senior at WEGO who was recommended to the school's journalism program and wanted to try it out. In his free time, he likes to listen to music and collect Hot Wheels; his impressive collection features upwards of 200 cars, and is still growing. Not surprisingly, considering his interest in miniature cars, Jordy wants to be an automotive engineer after high school. He also believes in aliens. 
$575
$750

• Mr. AielloFeb 22, 2024 at 10:55 am

I agree with Tommy Murphy. This is a perfect example of why we shouldn’t be on TikTok.