Clubs unite for annual food drive

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

The annual food/can drive was created by SkillsUSA.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

Whether students want to help the Northern Illinois Food Bank or receive extra credit, SkillsUSA/FCCLA and FBLA are running a can drive from Monday to Nov. 17.

The can drive has been a long tradition for SkillsUSA.

“Before I even started teaching here, they would do a can drive through SkillsUSA. Once I took it over, I just continued it,” adviser Brittney Bauer said.

FBLA teamed up with SkillsUSA/FCCLA this year to manage the event.

“FBLA is giving up some of their time to help us. It’s usually a SkillsUSA event,” Bauer said.

The cans will go to Northern Illinois Food Bank.

“They actually come here to pick the cans up. Before we dropped it off at St. Mary’s,” Bauer said.

The clubs encourage the students to participate.

“It’s a great cause. It’s around the holiday season and there are families out there that don’t have very much food at all. You’re helping people in the community,” Bauer said.

Students can also benefit from the event.

“People get so many tardies and then they have to serve a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday school. They can make it up with 10 cans. A teacher detention is five cans and a P.E. make up is five cans. Teachers can also offer extra credit, but it’s to be determined by the teacher,” Bauer said.

Four winners will receive a $15 gift card.

“Every time you donate cans, you are entered in a raffle and we put it based on your class so then I draw out one student from freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior,” Bauer said.

Cans should be dropped off at the Student Activity Center during zero hour or in Bauer’s classroom in room 106 and 107.