Acting takes students to Scotland

Photo by Kamrey Windham

Drama students enjoy the Scotland scenery after being nominated to go on a class trip over the summer.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

After waiting two years, Drama Club traveled for the first time across the sea to perform in Scotland.

The drama department was nominated two years ago by the Contemporary American Theater Festival (CATF) to participate in the foreign program.

“The honor of being nominated was great and the greater honor of being selected was just absolutely awesome,” Drama Club adviser Mark Begovich said.

Many of the students were excited for the trip.

“It sounded like it was going to be a lot of fun. It was an experience that would never come up again; going overseas with friends and doing something that you love,” junior Ricky Geiser said.

Before the students went to Scotland, they did a lot of fundraising.

“We held several special events. We sold many things and he had several students raise over a hundred percent of their money because we had to raise money for our technical director to go as well,” Begovich said.

In Scotland, the students performed an original piece written by Begovich at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival on July 29 through Aug. 12.

“I was nervous because the audience was different. We didn’t really know anybody who was coming. Usually when we perform at school, it’s our friends, our parents, and teachers. It was nerve-wracking to see how they would react to the show, but when they reacted positively, it paid off and made the show a whole lot better,” junior Dylan Davidson said.

The students also participated in workshops, interacted with theater artists, toured, and saw many performances.

“It was a huge educational opportunity. The variety of different workshops that they attended had a growth component to it in terms of learning something and using it. They learned historical examples and cultural differences. The act of traveling to perform is educational for the students,” Begovich said.

The experience was special for the students.

“It was amazing. It was so beautiful. It was my first time overseas,” Geiser said.

Drama’s next play is “Peter and the Starcatcher” starting on Nov. 10 at 7 p.m.