Teamwork produces state qualifiers

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

After competing at sectionals, the girls WeGo-Batavia co-op swim team advanced to the state competition at New Trier High School on Friday and Saturday.

Senior Lindsey Bruce, sophomore Ula Konopko and junior Natalie Nelson from West Chicago will compete. Batavia swimmers include freshman Raquel Cox and junior Myanna Cook.  

The team will compete in the 200 yard freestyle with Nelson, Bruce, Cook and Konopko. Cox, Bruce, Cook and Nelson will swim in the 400 yard freestyle.

For individual events, Cook will swim in the 100 yard butterfly, Bruce in the 200 freestyle and Nelson in the 50 and 100 freestyle.

“Making state for the second year in a row is very exciting. I was nervous that I would not make it (to state) since I am a sprinter, and I have been in and out with a foot injury,” Nelson said.

According to head coach Nick Parry, the team tapered which is a progressive rest to prepare for the Upstate Eight Conference meet and their sectionals.

The advancing team had a grueling week to prepare for competition at the state level.

“We got pushed by our coach this year. We went on intervals that I have never done before, which is what I love,” Nelson said.

Nelson believes hard work is what gives positive results.

“The burning pain of going fast is what makes you better. We would not be where we are without the pushing we have of each other and our coach,” Nelson said.