Four students selected for All-State production of Cabaret

Photo by Mark Begovich

Mikail Herrera, Elizabeth Ryan, Jazmin Wilkins, and Vincent Lamantia have been selected to participate in the All-State production of Cabaret.

By Wildcat Chronicle Staff, Reporter

West Chicago Community High School seniors Mikail Herrera, Vincent Lamantia, Elizabeth Ryan, and Jazmin Wilkins were selected – among hundreds of applicants – to participate in the All-State production of Cabaret, the highlight of the Illinois High School Theatre Festival, to be held January 6-8, 2022.

English teacher and WeGo Drama Director Mark Begovich is proud to have the most “All-Staters” in school history. The four students were chosen to participate in the largest non-competitive high school theatre festival in the world through auditions and interviews.

Herrera, Lamantia, Ryan and Wilkins will travel to Illinois State University in the new year for the three-day event. The All-State cast, crew, and pit orchestra, led by IHSTF Executive Director Judy Klingner, is comprised of the top student performers, technicians, and musicians in the state of Illinois.

Cabaret, the 45th All-State production, will be performed throughout the festival, which is not open to the public. The 1966 musical centers around an American writer’s (Herrera) relationship with an English cabaret performer at the Kit Kat Club in Berlin just a few years before the start of World War II. Following a successful run on Broadway, Cabaret made its way to the big screen in 1972, starring Liza Minelli. The play has been revised and adapted numerous times over the course of its nearly 60-year run.

Ryan, the All-State Production Stage Manager, said, “I love getting to work with people that share the same passion as I do, and who care about making great art.”

Wilkins, who will play a Kit Kat woman, added, “The connections are so strong and unique that you can’t find them anywhere else.”

The students have been preparing for the festival throughout the fall, in addition to their roles in WeGo Drama productions such as Clue: on Stage and Squirrel Girl Goes to College.

“The opportunity to be a part of the All-State production is a blessing,” said Herrera. “I have learned so much the past four months and have grown as an actor.”

Lamantia, a member of the All-State orchestra, added, “Being a part of All-State has given me a brand new experience. This show has challenged and pushed as a musician whilst also granting me a new perspective and respect for the arts.”

Those seeking more information about the Illinois High School Theatre Festival or WeGo Drama are encouraged to contact Mark Begovich at [email protected] or visit www.wegotheatre.com.