$575
$750

Beyoncé redefines a genre with ‘COWBOY CARTER’

An overview of Beyoncé’s greatest album to date
The album cover for Cowboy Carter features Beyonce on a white horse in full patriotic display. (Courtesy of Columbia Records)

The highly anticipated “COWBOY CARTER” was finally released on March 31, and with this album, Beyoncé has completely changed the way that music fans view the country genre. The album is five years in the making, and with 27 songs, Beyoncé has once again perfectly crafted an album.

At first glance, 27 songs could feel overwhelming; however, a small majority of the album are features, or interludes that are at maximum 50 seconds, allowing each song to perfectly flow into the next.

“COWBOY CARTER” is exceptional, and the opening track “AMERICAN REQUIEM” sets the bar extremely high for the rest of the album. The song is a testament to Beyoncé’s experience with the genre, with many of the lyrics alluding to her experience at the Country Music Awards in which she performed “Daddy Lessons” – a song from her sixth studio album.

“and the rejection came, said I wasn’t, / Country nough” responds to criticism she faced after the performance. The song shows off Beyoncé’s flawless vocals and storytelling.

The album is more than just a collection is songs, though. Beyoncé is reclaiming a genre and space in which she felt rejected. Country music has always been heavily influenced by the Black community, with many hymns, instruments, and songs rooted in American slavery. Instruments such as the banjo originated in Sub-Saharan West Africa and came to America with Black slaves. However, African Americans fail, to this day, to receive the credit they deserved for molding, creating, and influencing the country genre.

“COWBOY CARTER” not only honors Black history, but creates it. With “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” Beyoncé became the first ever Black woman to hold a Billboard Top 100 spot with a country song, and by featuring so many black country artists such as Linda Martell, Shaboozey, Tanner Adell and more, she is forcing the world to recognize the pivotal role of Black artists in country music, while also exposing her listeners to “underground” country artists and music. 

The album progresses from slower, soft ballads like “BLACKBIRD” and “PROTECTOR” to country pop hits like “YA YA” and “SWEET ★ HONEY ★ BUCKIIN’” to show how versatile Beyonce can be.  

Throughout the album, Beyonce is not limited by genre, and explores elements of R&B, pop, rap, country, and dance. The record defines what country music is, but then makes the genre its own and redefines listeners’ expectations 

Beyonce is a vocalist, and with “ALLIGATOR TEARS”, the audience can tell. Other songs on the album such as “YA YA” and “SPAGHETTI” are what one would put on if they wanted to listen to a version of Beyonce that sounds like Beyonce, but with these tracks, Beyonce is inviting the audience to become spectators, participants, and critics of her art. The vocalization – combined with the deep and personal lyrics – makes for a well-thought-out and enjoyable song. 

To conclude, “COWBOY CARTER” is certainly more than just a country album, or even a Beyonce album: it is a reclaiming of a genre, a testament to Black history and culture, and potentially one of Beyonce’s greatest albums to date. It goes above and beyond expectations and truly forces the audience to understand the context of the music.

View Comments (1)
$575
$750

About the Contributor
Karidja Monjolo
Karidja Monjolo, Managing Editor
Karidja Monjolo is a senior, and this is her third year on the Wildcat Chronicle. She participates in WeGo Drama, Speech Team, Roar, and more! Her hobbies include reading, writing, and listening to music. In the future Karidja would like to pursue a career in Broadcast Journalism.
$575
$750

• DinahApr 12, 2024 at 10:49 am

Great article Karidja! Can’t wait to listen to this album now.