Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

Victorious sweep for Wildcat Chronicle at NISPA

Chronicle staffers’ attended a conference at College of DuPage, where they were ultimately awarded the Golden Eagle for journalistic excellence.
Photo by Emily Ziajor

Once again, the Wildcat Chronicle took home top honors at the annual Northern Illinois School Press Association (NISPA) conference held at College of DuPage on March 15.

Each year, the top third competitors in each division are awarded the coveted Golden Eagle, recognition that eluded the Chronicle in 2023. However, this year, the Chronicle took home a Gold Award, as well as the Golden Eagle trophy.

Additional awards for the Chronicle included numerous Blue Ribbons, the top honor at NISPA. Editor-in-Chief Sasha Baumgartner, a senior, won for news writing with the story “Citizens express dissatisfaction at city council meeting.” Baumgartner was also part of the team, helmed by Managing Editor Karidja Monjolo (’24) and reporter Daniela Perez (’24), that covered the breaking news story titled “Main Park Apartments fire displaces West Chicago families,” a piece aided by photography by Alexa Morales (’24).

In feature writing, senior Emily Ziajor, Multimedia Manager took home top honors for her examination into the trend known as ‘girl dinner‘. She was also awarded a Blue Ribbon for her photo essay on the West Chicago football team’s historic win over Bartlett in September 2023.

Reviews Editor Michael Birdsell (’24) did not attend the conference, but was awarded a Blue Ribbon for his review of Drake’s 2023 album “For All the Dogs”. 

“Not only is “Drake washed up” but he is finished and over, and has been for the last 5 years. Man, you put the final coffin in his coffin, and you did it very professionally,” the critic who evaluated Birdsell’s piece wrote.

Micah Weber’s “Historic West Chicago football season comes to close” was a Blue Ribbon recipients in the sports game story category.

Junior Jonathan Saucedo, the Chronicle’s Opinions Editor, received a Blue Ribbon for his financial column, “Jonathan Says.” Critics claimed Saucedo had “strong control of his voice.”

The Chronicle’s editorial on book banning, a joint effort by Baumgartner and seniors Brandon M. Heath, Eshan Amir, Fernando Arroyo Garcia, Chris Pena, Anjali Rai and Lizbeth Huerta Padilla, received a Blue Ribbon as well.

Honorable mentions were given to several West Chicago Community High School reporters as well, including Monjolo (graphics), senior Dhanveer Gill (video package), and Morales (profile writing).

The NISPA conference welcomed high school journalists from all over northern Illinois, and began at 8:50 a.m. with a keynote speech entitled “Journalism Needs You: Finding Your Purpose, Passion and Perspective.” The speech was given by Brittany Hardaway, who works as the main evening news anchor at 13 WREX. She highlighted her journey through the industry: the progression from behind the scenes work, to actually being on TV where she would be discussing the news. Through the use of aspects such as culture, she connects herself along with her reporting to the community in Rockford, Illinois.

“She was very passionate about her job and career while showing what she has overcome,” Heath, a Multimedia Content Creator for the Chronicle, said.

Once the keynote speaker was done talking, students dispersed to go attend two breakout sessions. In a pamphlet given out earlier, every attendee was met with an array of possible sessions to attend, along with their location. Students wandered through the halls, matching the room numbers to those on the paper. Possible sessions ranged from feature writing to team building; these classes were led by journalists and advisers who have a more experienced understanding of the industry, such as Daily Herald film critic Dann Gire.

“I am Dann Gire’s biggest fan, and the chance to meet him in person was an amazing experience. The ability to ask actual employed journalists questions about what I was working on was also very helpful, informative, and I am so grateful for it,” junior Hail Fay, a Plainfield Central student, said.

After both sessions were over, students were directed by staff to the cafeteria where multiple food options were available for purchase. The cafeteria was packed, resulting with individuals sitting either outside or on the floor. However, the brief break allowed students to regroup and share their experiences from the sessions.

Once lunch was over, everyone headed back to the McAninch Art Center for the award ceremony. Publications could enter content from the fall 2023 semester in the many categories for the chance to win a Blue Ribbon or receive an honorable mention.

Upon returning to West Chicago Community High School, attendees were eager to share the news with their fellow reporters who were unable to attend the conference.

“I got a text from Dhanveer [Gill] saying to come to the lab, so I kind of assumed that something was up. I thought we either won the Golden Eagle, or I at least got some high placement for an award, and the outcome was actually really good. I got a Blue Ribbon. I am thankful to Drake for writing such a terrible album,” Birdsell said.