Main Park Apartments fire displaces West Chicago families

The fire resulted in six injuries and the displacement of more than 100 individuals.
Photo by Alexa Morales
Two salvaged chairs remain in the entryway of the Main Park apartment complex following a fire that displaced over 100 people on Nov. 30.

On November 30, at approximately 1:11 a.m., the West Chicago Police Department, as well as the West Chicago Fire Protection District, were dispatched to Main Park Apartments on Burr Oaks Drive in West Chicago; when officials arrived, they found two balconies and one apartment already on fire.  

The fire displaced around 100 people, and six others substantiated non-life threatening injuries. An investigation into how the fire started is still ongoing, and updates will be published here as they continue to become available. 

Among the injured was a West Chicago firefighter who was transported to a nearby hospital, as well as a pregnant woman, whom officials say jumped from a three-story building. 

The building appears to be inhabitable; at the time of publication, there was no word on a rebuild. (Photo by Sasha Baumgartner)

Nearby residents were quick to point out a fire occurred at the same apartment building last year.

At this time it is unclear if these instances are related. 

Already, West Chicago Community High School is looking for ways to support the victims of this fire. More information is to follow.

Update: November 30, 2023 (11:00 p.m.)

At this time, a number of organizations, such as the American Red Cross, WeGo Together for Kids, the Office of Emergency Management, the DuPage County Health Department, and the West Chicago Police Department social services team, are contributing to relief efforts that are currently being made.

West Chicago Police Department social workers, Sophia Gonzalez and Rosie Valencia, are spearheading gathering all resources collected by these organizations and dispersing it to the families.

A number of the displaced families have been placed at New Hope United Methodist Church temporarily as they await news of permanent housing. Approximately half of the displaced individuals currently reside at the church.

“Fortunately, many families and individuals went to stay with friends and other relatives, in the area. So, you know, at least our housing situation is taken care of for the time being, obviously you know, we need a longer-term housing solution, but for the folks that are there now, that will be our task going forward. Especially for tomorrow is longer-term housing situation. So I would say we probably have about 50 individuals that we are sheltering at the church tonight,” Adam Reavley, Investigations and Support Manger for the West Chicago Police Department, said.

Members of the community are encouraged to donate to the cause using this link, created by members of WeGo Together for Kids or by dropping off essentials at the church itself. The proceeds will go directly to those affected by the fire.

The top floor of the building is largely destroyed by the fire. (Photo by Sasha Baumgartner)

“We are accepting many things at that church at that location, although there may be things that, unfortunately, we’d have to turn away at this time. Only because we have to look at a specific need base for every individual and if we’ve kind of come to that point where we have that need base and just don’t want to accept items that you know, we’re not going to be able to use at that time and rather having to go to another cause or, you know, some other folks that might be in need,” Reavley said.

Update: December 1, 2023 (1.20 p.m.)

West Chicago Community High School has also taken immediate action into helping, students and their families.

“The response was immediate. We knew about it probably by 5:30 yesterday morning, we immediately jumped into action, so by nine o’clock, we had already dropped off clothing items for everybody there, not just our students – we have approximately seven students of ours who reside there, but they obviously have families, and siblings, so we dropped off items for everybody,” said Dr. Will Dwyer.

Looking to help, administrators from the high school initially dropped off 25 items, including toiletries and undergarments, to donate, but then realized there was more need.

The school/Quest also prepared 100 meals for the people staying at the church; they coordinated with the West Chicago Police Department and the Red Cross to arrange a dinner time delivery.

Dwyer mentioned private bussing had been arranged for students who needed to get to the school from either the church or other family members’ homes. If students needed a Chromebook, backpack, or any other school-related materials, the school provided those. They also provided wifi hotspots for all the displaced students.

“The response going forward is going to be whatever they need. We’re waiting to really hear exactly what the families need. So last night, an email went out to our staff that if they wanted to make any donations, we would want it in the form of gift cards, because what was most needed is money, and money in the form of gift cards, so families can replace their belongings at Target, Jewel, Walmart, whatever it might be,” Dwyer said.

For additional information on how District 94 is working to aid those affected by the fire, see Dhanveer Gill’s article, “D94 administration looks to aid those in need after devastating fire“.