[PHOTO ESSAY] A hair-raising tradition (that seems to work)

The boys’ swim team bleaches their hair before every conference meet – and the results this year suggest the practice is more than just superstition.
Logan Bremner, a sophomore, waited for the dye to set while he ate his pasta.
Photo by Brandon M. Heath

Lucky rabbits’ feet. Four-leaf clovers. Unwashed socks. There are a number of superstitions athletes rely on to help them win in competition, but one of the more interesting ones is that of West Chicago Community High School’s boys’ swimming team, who gathers together before every conference meet to dye their hair. Not just any dye will do during this annual tradition: the boys bleach their hair to the lightest shade of blonde they can muster.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

On February 2, the team gathered together for pasta and peroxide. Several moms were on hand on February 2 to play hair stylist. Freshman Shane Johnson was up first, and held onto a towel to prevent any bleach from getting onto his clothes. Johnson was somewhat familiar with the process, as big brother Brady (’24) has participated in the tradition for the past several years.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

Junior Sam Ortiz, from Geneva High School, could not wait for the celebration in early February, and dyed his hair shortly before the big event, much to Shane Johnson’s surprise.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

Up next was senior Jorge Gomez, who was no stranger to the annual tradition, and smiled throughout the process, unlike the freshmen. Like the Johnson brothers, Gomez is a student at WCCHS. The team is unique in that it brings together students from three different schools: West Chicago, Batavia, and Geneva. The coop allows students at high schools without a swimming pool to participate in competitive swim.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

Alejandro Jacob, a junior, seemed tempted to have his hair tipped. He goofed around for the camera as the bleach was applied to his ends. For the team, the evening is a chance to unwind and have fun before the pressure of the Upstate Eight Conference championship.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

With chocolate milk and empty spaghetti plates for company, freshman Peter Day gets the dye worked into his roots. Day has had a stellar first season with the Wildcats, and has already broken several records in the few months he has been swimming with the team.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

Cohen Garcia, a sophomore, displays the full effects of the dye as it works its way through the hair follicles. It was important that the athletes not leave the bleach on for too long; as Healthline reports, applying the dye for more than 30 minutes can create serious damage.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

While they wait, junior Tommy Eng pretends sophomore Isaiah Day’s head – which is shower-capped to help the bleach process – is a basketball. Both Eng and Day hail from Batavia High School.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

Sophomore Logan Bremner and his mom finish applying the dye to his hair and wipe off any excess on his forehead. Now, all he can do is wait – and eat pasta.

(Photo by Brandon M. Heath)

With the dye nearly ready to be rinsed out, Johnson was still hesitant about the overall results. However, he need not have worried: the bleach worked its magic, and the boys were conference champions at the Upstate Eight Meet on Feb. 3.

View Comments (1)
$575
$750

$575
$750

• Mr. AielloFeb 21, 2024 at 10:49 am

Bleach is a gamechanger for sure.