“Jaws” takes a bite out of Homecoming movie night

The popular event took place on Sept. 25 at 7 p.m. on the football field.

On Monday, Sept. 25, the Student Council hosted their annual Homecoming movie night for all students from WEGO: the event took place at the Memorial Stadium.  

All students were welcome to attend the event; there was no entry fee.

Students were allowed to bring their own chairs and blankets to sit on at the football field. Backpacks were checked in front of the entrance, and other guests were not allowed to come to the movie night, so all WEGO students had to bring IDs.

Although the weather in the morning was rainy, and some questioned whether it was possible for the movie to get canceled due to weather conditions, the skies above West Chicago improved, and movie night carried on as planned.

Student Council chose the movie “Jaws” for this year’s event; they looked for a movie that would go with the Homecoming theme, which is “Under the Sea”.

“The Student Council brainstormed a lot of different movies that are kinda like water, under the sea, because that goes with our theme. We also needed to make it a movie that wasn’t, like, three hours long. So, we were looking for a movie that was about two hours long because we’re doing it on the football field, we can’t have everything go until midnight, neighbors won’t be happy,” Student Council adviser Candace Fikis said.

Other ideas included “Pirates of the Caribbean”, but many options were simply too lengthy in terms of timing.

“There was a lot of debate and discussion, and then we picked our couple top choices, and then we let everybody vote. So, [“Jaws” is] the one that won,” Fikis said.

The 1975 film was a “summer blockbuster” when it was released, and many have considered it to be an iconic film ever since due to its impact on popular culture. 

“It’s old. But it’s also part of American movie history. It’s a little cheesy,” Fikis said.

Many students surveyed by the Chronicle indicated they had not watched the movie previously. Some found the film engaging and action-packed, while others indicated a desire for more wholesome entertainment.

“Honestly, I didn’t really like the movie choice because there was a lot of graphic content, and it wasn’t joyful to watch,” senior Naomi Hernandez said.

During the event, several clubs sold merchandise and food for those looking for another “bite”. Student Council offered bottled water and pop for $1; GSA sold glow bracelets, necklaces and glasses for $1-$3. In keeping with the “snow” theme, Snowball brought in a Kona Ice truck and sold the flavored, crushed ice for the cost of $4-$8, depending on size.

Other clubs included the Wildcat Chronicle, which sold popcorn and hot chocolate for $1-2, Compass, which brought in pizzas from Pizza Now, Dance Team, which sold chips for $1, and Rock Climbing Club, which sold carabiners for $3 (or two for $5).

The items for sale were a welcome addition for students looking to hang out or snack at the event.

“’Cause I be hungry,” senior Amir Koones said.

Most attendees considered the event a success.

“Overall, movie night went well. It started a couple minutes late, but I really liked how the screen was big enough for students to see, and it was also pretty loud, and you were able to hear the movie pretty well even though the train passed by and was loud too,” Hernandez said.

View Comments (1)