Summer offers gorgeous weather and more fulfilling experiences

By Roberto Mendoza, Reporter

The sound of waves, rays of the sun, smells of hot dogs, hamburgers, and arrachera cooking on the grill while family laughs and enjoys being sun-kissed. The air conditioner running in the background. The smell of bug spray. The taste of fresh fruit glistening. 

No season can match the feelings summer gives: this is the one season that offers so many fulfilling experiences, it can only be compared to heaven on Earth. 

Summer is the time when all your hard work pays off, and you can go outside in any clothes, not worrying about the cold. According to lisbdnet.com, “summer times are stress free, relaxing, and basically fun. You can never get bored on a summer day or night. During the day, there are fun activities such as: swimming, sports, picnics, and barbecues. Friends and family spend a lot of time together during the summertime.” 

Most of the stress-free moments come from family vacations and perfect blue skies that can only be found in the summer, the time when both teachers and students have at least two months off. This season brings new opportunities to learn and develop social skills through situations that would not typically happen in a classroom. It is the time to catch up on sleep, reading or TV. Summer provides a break from your daily routine – time to adopt new hobbies and hang out with friends. 

Summer is known for its heat, but the mornings are a perfect reminder of what a cool breeze feels like. So, if you are a morning person, you can always avoid the hottest part of the day and still spend time outside. If you are a night person, once the sun sets and it starts to get cooler, the warm temperatures are a dream come true.

Furthermore, arguably one of the most fun times of the year is the 4th of July. You get to celebrate Independence Day by lighting up fireworks with friends and family (or sitting back to enjoy the show!).

While summer is clearly the best season of all, some may incorrectly argue fall is the better time year. While it can be exciting to watch dead trees while the cold wind blows on your face, and having fun raking leaves while the wind messes up the perfect pile, not to mention watching the West Chicago football team get absolutely annihilated, summer contains some of the most amazing moments of your life. 

Summer brings paletas, popsicles and backyard grilling opportunities. (Photo by Shutterstock)

School starts during the fall, which can be enjoyable to some, but according to Salarship, a student finance company, 73% of students do not like school. Why look forward to a season that brings forth a return to an experience most people dislike?

Summer, on the other hand, arrives at the end of a school year, and offers an opportunity to relax, develop new skills, stay passionate about your goals, and do whatever you want until the next school year. 

American non-fiction author, journalist, and essayist Charles Bowden said, “Summertime is always the best of what might be.” 

Summer can also improve mental health. According to Psychreg, a digital publication that explores mental health, “More than just getting Vitamin D, sunny weather can have a positive impact on mental health and mood. By getting out, for at least 30 minutes, the positive impact of warm, sunny weather can have on mental health and mood is real.” 

Also, spending time with family and friends is vital for mental well-being. 

Canadian author L.M. Montgomery said, “All in all it was a never to be forgotten summer… one of those summers which, in a fortunate combination of delightful weather, delightful friends and delightful doing, come as near perfection as anything can come in this world.”

Every person’s summer will always contain some form of happiness, likely because there are many fun activities to do in the summer. Going to the beach is just the beginning: it is an activity every person can enjoy, whether lying on a lounge chair, tanning, reading a book, enjoying the view, or participating in thrilling activities such as volleyball, frisbee, building a sandcastle, and most importantly, swimming. In addition, riding a boat is even more riveting. You get to enjoy your favorite music, enjoy the breeze, and spend time with family or friends, all while gliding across a river or the ocean. And when the boat is anchored, jumping in the water provides a great way to cool off after enjoying the sun. 

Another fun activity in the summer is to play sports. While it can get pretty hot playing soccer or baseball in the summer months, it is beneficial to withstand a wider range of temperatures. According to Outside, “Heat acclimation provides more substantial environmental specific improvements in aerobic performance than altitude acclimation.” 

Few people can argue with the fact that the beach is relaxing. (Photo by Shutterstock)

Hiking is one way to improve endurance in a fun way. On a hike, you are challenged, yet rewarded, at the same time. Starved Rock is one of the best places to hike, especially in the summer. Since walking can get tiring when it is warm, there are plenty of waterfalls to cool off. Starved Rock also offers visitors a chance to enjoy the beautiful canyons. 

Lastly, the overall feeling of being outside, knowing everyone else is enjoying the beautiful day, is one of the best moments of summer. 

Senior Michelle Tafoya said, “I absolutely love summer. Not the summer that’s humid, I like it when it’s really nice cause you get to do so many things, and I feel like it motivates you.” 

Summer will always have its perfect moments – really, it is the season that encourages us to cherish the happiness in life, and to enjoy Earth’s diverse activities.