Wheaton West hockey team heads to State Championship

Senior+Charlie+Jury+skating+down+the+ice+against+Glenbard+on+January+21st.+

Photo by AMJ Studios

Senior Charlie Jury skating down the ice against Glenbard on January 21st.

By Chuck Baumgartner, Sports Editor

On March 9, Wheaton West won 5-0 against fifth seed Buffalo Grove, Hersey, Wheeling Hockey Club advancing to the final four for the Illinois State Hockey Championships.

Wheaton West beat the overwhelming favorite, Palatine/Elk Grove, 2-1 on March 10, securing their place in the finals. This will be the team’s first vie for the State title, which will take place against Waubonsie on March 13 at 1:00 p.m.

Fourth seed Wheaton West hockey is a team that consists of students from Wheaton-Warrenville South, Wheaton North, West Chicago Community High School, Wheaton Academy, and St. Francis.

Jury (middle back) with the 2019 State championship team. (Photo by Tyler Wardell)

The program describes its values as a single high school hockey club that focuses on excellence in the classroom, community, and on the ice. Junior Tyler Bute, who not only plays for the team but is also involved in the National Honor Society, represents these qualities, as do the multiple all-stars at the Varsity and junior Varsity level, including junior Kaitlyn Pilon.

The team has taken away conference and State titles previously. Senior Charlie Jury was a part of the junior Varsity State champion team in 2019.

Excellence was also the theme this year as the team went 18-6 in the regular season, and are in the final four in playoffs.

Jury described being a part of the team as “fun and hopefully, it doesn’t end any other way than us in the state finals.”

Jury also said, “If we win this game, I am confident that we can win State.”

The March 13 State final game will take place at The Edge Ice Arena in Bensonville, IL. Students are encouraged to attend: the student section theme is blackout.