New LRC committee seeks input from students

Photo by Brittany Saenz

The LRC front desk, where books can be checked out and where new information about the library and its plans can be found.

By Brittany Saenz, Reporter

A new program started at West Chicago Community High School in 2022: the LRC Student User Group. This unique committee offers librarians and students a chance to gather every third Wednesday of the month to sit and discuss potential improvements for the library to provide a better environment for everyone.

Students who are part of the user group meet monthly in the LRC to share their ideas about services and content the library can offer. The group launched in January, and has already started to gather students’ opinions. 

Librarian Amy Grabowski said, “This is the students’ space, their library, so we think they should have a voice in what we are doing.” 

Grabowski believes the library should be an environment where students feel comfortable. Changes made in the library are based off ideas committee members gather and talk about. Meetings are scheduled before school, after school, and every lunch period meeting, for students to have every opportunity they can to meet with the LRC staff. 

“Anyone who is interested on what we are doing in the LRC, whether you’re a reader, or you just like to use the space, [can] come and hang out before or after school, or study hall, or lunch. Anyone who has any interest whatsoever in what we are doing in the LRC is welcome to join,” said Grabowski.

The large, open space the LRC has to offer includes places for Socratic seminars, meetings, and reading. (Photo by Brittany Saenz)

A few changes one member of the LRC Student User Group, senior Jaclyn Camp, would like to see is “a time in classes periodically where students can go down to the LRC to check out a book” and “a BookTok table.” 

She believes many students are not able to go to the LRC and checkout books for lack of time and opportunity, Camp also explained the books she has been interested in reading are recommended through TikTok, so a display highlighting some of those recommended stories would be useful to many students. 

Junior Shayla Hernandez said, “I was really looking forward to helping the LRC get more recognition and attention. It’s a great place with amazing people. I would like to see more students involved with some of the fun events and take advantage of new events that are to come.”

Hernandez encourages students to join this new group and really take advantage of the LRC – not just the space, but also new options that will be offered. 

Camp’s ideas, as well as other members’, may be put into play soon, as creative display ideas are one of the key pieces of feedback the LRC is seeking. 

Grabowski said, “We have the students go through what [was] in the display, and get their feedback on what we are doing and our promotion ideas.”

The new LRC Student User Group offers an opportunity for students in all grade levels to share ideas and recommend changes they would like to see happening in the LRC. Anyone is welcome to join the group on the third Wednesday of each month.