Coping methods for stress

Photo by Big Stock

By Jose Sanchez, Reporter

If you have been stressed out lately and have been trying to find ways to cope with that stress, then you are in luck. 

According to the Mental Health Foundation, stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension. It is the body’s response to pressure and can be caused by a variety of situations. Stress can be caused by the feeling of being under lots of pressure, too much work, worrying, times of uncertainty, and problematic situations. WebMD reports that some emotional symptoms of stress include having difficulty relaxing, having low self-esteem, feeling overwhelmed, and being very moody. Some physical systems of stress can include low energy, headaches, insomnia, aches, pains, nervousness, shakiness, and tense muscles. A little stress every once in a while is not something to be concerned about. Long-term stress can lead to mental health problems, cardiovascular disease, skin problems, hair problems, obesity, and gastrointestinal problems. 

In surveying the students at West Chicago Community High School, 88% of a sample of 50 said they were currently stressed.

Hedy Marks, Assistant Managing Editor at WebMD and the author of an online article called Stress Symptoms”, said, “Stress is everywhere. And while a little stress is OK — some stress is actually beneficial — too much stress can wear you down and make you sick, both mentally and physically.”

While some coping methods may vary by age, there are actually methods that can be helpful for all ages. Some healthy ways to cope with stress include taking breaks, connecting with others, and taking care of yourself and your body. You can take care of your body by exercising, eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, and avoiding substance use. Also by taking care of yourself, you could also help others who are stressed. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says, “Taking care of yourself can better equip you to take care of others. During times of social distancing, it is especially important to stay connected with your friends and family. Helping others cope with stress through phone calls or video chats can help you and your loved ones feel less lonely or isolated.”

Zentangles (above and at right) created by Jose Sanchez; such doodles can be a considerable stress relief. (Photo by Jose Sanchez)

Some of the best methods for coping with stress include art, exercise, meditation, getting plenty of sleep, having a hobby, and maintaining a routine. Art is especially a good method because you do it at home or out in public. A small sketchbook and a pencil can help relieve anyone’s stress. You do not have to be good at art to use this method. One of the best art activities is Zentangles, an art form where you just use your creativity to draw. There is a YouTube channel called Peter Draws where an artist is always making Zentangles. He even posted a video about making Zentangles with a glass pen and glow ink. There is no right or wrong way to draw Zentangles: you can draw freely or create patterns as you like.

Cathy Malchiodi, the author of the online article, Calm Down and Get Your Zentangle On, says, “Zentangle has become an international phenomenon that now has applications in stress reduction, education, therapy and even motivational training.”

Meditation is also another great method to cope with stress because you do not need any materials to participate. You can just be at home, in silence, working to relax and calm down.

It is better to try to cope with current stress than to let the anxiety and pressure continue to mount and worsen. So, people under stress should try some of these methods to help relieve themselves. I personally cope with stress by drawing in a small sketchbook when I am out in public, and by taking a few hours to draw when at home.

If anyone has recently been stressed out, they should try some of these stress relieving methods, as most of these methods have been proven to work and help some people.