A way to de-stress during online learning

Coloring the wildcat is one of the activities that can be done in the calm room.

By Fernando Calvillo-Morales, Multimedia Content Creator

To help with stress in times of online learning, the counseling department has opened a calm room. 

“(It is) a place where students can access to get help with their emotional and mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic and remote learning,” counselor Julie Hensley said. 

The calm room includes calm music, meditations, yoga, exercise, mindfulness, coloring activities, puzzles, and games, hotlines and Textlines.

Counselors Tracy Eier and Hensley created the calm room. 

“This is the first time we put together a live site where students can access these resources when they are needed most,” Hensley said.  

The counseling department hopes that the calm room helps students learn to relax during the pandemic and online learning. 

“(It’s) to have students continue making their emotional and mental well-being a priority,” Hensley said. 

The website has received positive feedback from students and staff. 

The calm room was originally designed for students, but we were happy to learn that staff members were using it as well,” Hensley said. 

To have a variety of options, the website is updated. 

“We continue updating and modifying the live site to continue meeting our students social (and) emotional needs,” Hensley said. 

Students and staff can visit the calm room by visiting https://sites.google.com/d94.org/wego-calming-room/home