Sudden change makes unexpected school year decision

The+2020-2021+school+year+began+with+new+classrooms+and+a+new+area%2C+yet+students+won%E2%80%99t+be+allowed+to+see+it+in+person+due+to+COVID-19+and+classes+going+online.+

Photo by Leslie Najera-Rivas

The 2020-2021 school year began with new classrooms and a new area, yet students won’t be allowed to see it in person due to COVID-19 and classes going online.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

After saying goodbye to friends and teachers for what was believed for two weeks, the 2020-2021 school year began online. 

“This school year is going to be different than any other school year we’ve ever had, we (are) starting later due to the construction, not because of COVID-19,” Principal Will Dwyer said.”It’s very different (overall) because we’re on a remote learning start.” 

Although students are not in the building, there are sports and activities that began running. 

“Cross country, tennis, swim and golf are all having their seasons right now, so that is one level of normalcy. We’re still going to have activities and clubs run,” Dwyer said. 

Compared to the second semester of 2019-2020 school year, grading will return to normal for the 2020-2021 school year.

Teachers and staff have prepared for the new school year. 

“Our staff has been working all summer because they normally do that, but also knowing that we were going to be in a different environment,” Dwyer said. “We can’t have more than 50 people in one space at a time. But at the same time, it was really good to see everybody. I think our staff has done a great job.”

This has been the first year that WeGo in with Pride turned virtual.

WeGo in with Pride is the freshmen’s first day where incoming freshmen are welcomed by club members, the principal, and other staff to get to know the school. 

“(It was) wonderful. Freshmen met with a panel of student athletes, a panel of students who are involved in clubs and activities, development themes, and guidance counselors (and others). I got to sit in on a bunch of sessions. It was great,” Dwyer said.

Despite Zoom crashing at other schools, resulting in schools becoming behind in work, Dwyer doesn’t believe the school will be impacted if Zoom or Google Meets goes down. 

“The backup plan is that we put a lot of the assignments and the work online. We are allowing staff and students to use Zoom or Google Meets, that’s really powerful. (If) Zoom crashed then use Google,” Dwyer said. 

And while the students are not in the building, the teachers are.

“I want everyone to know (that) the teachers are still here for the kids. That’s why we’re here in the building. We’re here in the building to do our best, but also figuring out how do we really make this year as effective as we get there,” Dwyer said. “Everybody hopes, and I hope, we get to a point that we can have these kids come back to school.”