WeGo Boutique offers free prom outfits

WeGo Boutique offers free dresses, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories.
Counselor Julie Gawenda, from left, counselor Tracy Eier, social worker Janet Hurtado,  and counselor Deb Stack, will be helping students participating in the event.

WeGo Boutique offers free dresses, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories. Counselor Julie Gawenda, from left, counselor Tracy Eier, social worker Janet Hurtado, and counselor Deb Stack, will be helping students participating in the event.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

Dresses, accessories, bags, and shoes will be available for free at the WeGo Boutique event on Saturday and April 6.

“The expenses of a prom ticket, plus a dress, plus makeup is just too much for (those who want to go to prom) so we can help alleviate at least half of the cost,” WeGo Boutique adviser Janet Hurtado said.

The boutique has dresses, shoes, purses, and many other accessories.

Community members, teachers, and former students donate the dresses.

The boutique began in 2017, it currently offers over 150 dresses.

“At first we were collecting dresses and we didn’t have enough to give them away because then we figure we wouldn’t have enough to offer different sizes and colors for students,” Hurtado said.

The dresses range from size 0 to 24.

If they want, students can pay a rental fee for a dry cleaning service. The fee depends on the type of dress.

Shoes, purses, and jewelry are always offered for free.

The boutique is located in the counseling office.

Students can register for an individual appointment in the counseling office or walk-ins are welcome.

“Signing up does not mean that you have to take a dress, you can just come as an option to see if you find something. We’re not going to hold it against you. Just come and check it out before you go dress shopping,” Hurtado said.

Students and staff members with extra prom supplies can be dropped off at the counseling office as donations.