Tips to survive finals week

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

It’s officially that time of the year when it’s common to find students downing with energy drinks, coffee and large doses of sugar to survive the phenomenon known as “final exams week.”
Finals are split over three days. The finals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd period will take place on Dec. 19. Finals for 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th periods are on Dec. 20 and finals for 10th period are on Dec. 21.
Periods will be lengthened to 90 minutes. On the first and second day of finals students will be released at 12:45 p.m. and the last day of finals at 9:25 a.m.
There are different final exam types: multiple choice, an essay, both,  or a Socratic seminar. It all depends on the teacher and the subject.
Here are some of my tips that can alleviate the challenges of final exams.
Do not leave everything to the end. Plan a week or so before finals. Although at this point the time margin is minimal, try not to study or finish an assignment the last day to avoid pulling all-nighters. Making flash cards (handmade or online https://quizlet.com) or studying with other people can be helpful.

I first recommend checking your grades on PowerSchool (https://ps.d94.org/public/home.html) and rank them highest to lowest. This will determine how much you need to study for each final.
Assign more time to classes that require a higher score. For example, if you need to get an 80 percent or higher, this class is a priority. But take your time studying.
Do not spend five hours studying the day before, do it throughout the week because taking breaks when studying is as important as spending time in front of notes and books, your brain needs time to process all the information. However, make the most of your free time, avoid spending too much time in front of the TV or social networks. Instead, I suggest dedicating time to sleep, eating healthy and exercise.
To keep track of all your exams make your own personalized calendar with the different topics that you have to study, personally, this helps me relieve some stress and anxiety.
Complete study guides. As a senior, I get it they can be irritating, but teachers would not give them if they did not want to help students. Study guides give a taste of what will be on the final exam.
Finally, ask for help. We all have that subject that we prefer to eliminate forever from the curriculum. Either because it gets complicated or simply because we cannot even pronounce its name without dying of boredom. I like to do two things, one is approaching someone who does enjoy a class I’m struggling in and who can transmit interest to me. This is known as forming study groups, and second asking for help directly from teachers. They will help with pleasure and will also value your effort and interest.