Creative Writing Club presents “Giving Thanks” showcase for the retired community

+Creative+Writing+members+senior+Israel+Centeno%2C+junior+Abil+Vellikara%2C+senior+Marlene+Avila%2C+junior+Hailey+Nowicki%2C+and+junior+Joey+Steward+help+each+other+for+the+%E2%80%9CGiving+Thanks%E2%80%9D+showcase.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Creative Writing members senior Israel Centeno, junior Abil Vellikara, senior Marlene Avila, junior Hailey Nowicki, and junior Joey Steward help each other for the “Giving Thanks” showcase.

Photo by Isabela Casimiro

Photo by Isabela Casimiro

Photo by Isabela Casimiro

By Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

Creative Writing Club will present their new showcase “Giving Thanks” at the Wyndemere senior living complex Thursday.

“We are going to perform for the retirement home-community and they wanted to do something uplifting. We thought it would be nice to do something close to Thanksgiving,” Creative Writing Club adviser Tara DeLeon said.

Members of Creative Writing Club will be praising and giving thanks of their choice with an ode.

“Each of us decided to write an ode, so basically we’re going to be praising about anything like coffee or a family member,” DeLeon said.

Although the club has performed at Wyndemere in the past, members only had two weeks to prepare for the “Giving Thanks” event.

“Normally, I would have them prepare in advance but this is kind of a newer thing,” DeLeon said. “I am a little bit worried as we only had two weeks to prepare, but I believe in my kids.”

Instead of an Open Mic, Creative Writing Club decided on a showcase to get a different performing experience.

“Open Mic’s are much more laid back and informal so we thought that because is more of a show, they’re actually making us dinner and they’re letting us use the auditorium,” DeLeon said. “So we’re actually going to be on stage which is just a different feel and we wanted to be more practiced.”

The “Giving Thanks” showcase will take place at 7 p.m.

About the Photographer
Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

This is Isabela’s second year on the Wildcat Chronicle and she is the Perspectives Editor. She’s a sophomore and loves to talk about current politics....