CBS reporter gives journalism students tips

+%E2%80%9CCBS+Sunday+Morning%E2%80%9D+journalist%2C+Mo+Rocca%2C+talks+to+journalism+students+about+the+role+of+the+press+Oct.+19.
 “CBS Sunday Morning” journalist, Mo Rocca, talks to journalism students about the role of the press Oct. 19.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in chief

Journalism students gained insight about the press from “CBS Sunday Morning”  correspondent Mo Rocca on a recent visit to the school.

“When I went to college I didn’t study journalism, but I started writing for a TV show, and the thing that I really learned is the most important in being a journalist, (is)  just learning how to tell a story that engages people,” Rocca said.

Rocca and the film crew arrived Oct. 18 to record government classes for a national story about civics education.

Rocca visited the journalism class Oct. 19.

When Rocca asked students where they got their news they said social media, like Facebook and Instagram.

“People your age don’t watch CBS, we have to change that,” Rocca said.

Journalists appreciate people who express their mistrust towards the media, Rocca said.  

“People will sometimes say they don’t trust the news at all, I think it’s important for people like myself to hear that and understand why they feel that way,” Rocca said.

Students received advice on how to interview people efficiently.

“To get someone to open up, you want to bring to a safe space, a safe space of their life, going into a place where people are comfortable (because)  its gets them to warm up,” Rocca said. “I think another thing to do is just surprise people if people think that you are interested in them and you learn about their lives then you can disarm them.”

Rocca gave an example of how to approach challenging situations when interviewing someone.

“If you think it is a question you’re not supposed to ask, you’re probably supposed to ask, ” Rocca said.

Even seasoned reporters like Rocca are not always comfortable interviewing people. He is nervous about an upcoming interview with the Supreme Court justices.

“I’m nervous about interviewing the Supreme Court justices. It is kind of uncomfortable, especially with the last confirmation battle, it was very controversial. They’re not going to want to talk about it, and I have to try to get them to talk about it because that’s what people want to know.”

About the Writer
Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

This is Ariana's third year on the paper. She is a senior and an ambassador for the school. She is also president of the dance team “Alegria,” a member...