Students will voice origins at Open Mic ‘Rocking our Roots’

Creative Writing Club members, from left, seniors Aaron Sexton-Abdullah, Ace Avila, freshmen Abil Vellikara and Quentin Stone, seniors Nora Zamora and Delia Garcia prepare written pieces for Thursday’s Open Mic night.

By Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

Creative Writing Club’s “Rocking our Roots” themed Open Mic night will be held Thursday in the Student Activity Center.

“Our topic is pretty much like an homage. Going back to where you came from kind of thing. Just to think about where we come from,” adviser Tara DeLeon said.

The event is aimed towards giving students a voice.

“We want our WeGo students to understand how meaningful and impactful and important it is to speak your mind,” DeLeon said. “We really want to push our underclassmen and women to speak up and be role models. Even if it’s in a small stage and people feel amazing knowing they could do it.”

Students will speak on their choice.

“One person is talking about how he likes blues music and he is going back in time to look at some blues artists,” DeLeon said.

Open Mic nights are open to all students.

“Open Mic is open to the public, anyone can perform. When people walk in (my classroom) I have a sign-in sheet for people who want to perform,” DeLeon said. “We have our feature performers, which are the club members. They have already prepared pieces (to read) that are from the topic. After our Creative Writing kids go (to perform), we call them up.”

Creative Writing Club is planning to do Open Mic nights throughout the school year.

“We’re doing another one around January to kick off second semester, and one in spring nearing the end of the school year,” DeLeon said.

Open Mic night begins at 4 p.m.