Hard work pays off as Chronicle achieves a silver rating from CSPA

The Wildcat Chronicle archived a silver rating from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association for the online paper’s work. The 2017-2018 staff included sophomores Leslie Najera-Rivas and Isabella Casimiro, senior Ariana Alcantar, and Mayeli Vivaldo ’18.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

The award-winning student newspaper, the Wildcat Chronicle, achieved a silver rating from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) for the online paper’s work last year.

CSPA rated the newspaper based on layout, content, overall story coverage, digital media, interactions like polls, and sports.

The Wildcat Chronicle has won over 100 overall awards since 2002.

“It shows that our excellence has continued for years,” Wildcat Chronicle adviser Laura Kuehn said.

Kuehn credits her reporters for their work and dedication as journalists.  

“I’m very proud of the kids and the fact that they are willing to compete and keep trying to maintain journalism standards,” Kuehn said.

Kuehn’s ultimate goal is to maintain the quality of work.

“Both (short- and long-term goals) are to maintain excellence and reflect what we do here,” Kuehn said. “That’s really it, showing kids how to be journalists and how to report activities in the school and the community.”

This award is an honor for the Chronicle.

“Our last year’s editor-in-chief (Mayeli Vivaldo ’18) pushed us really hard to get our stories done and I feel like that helped me become a better reporter, so I’m very happy to see that we won this award,” sophomore reporter Leslie Najera-Rivas said.