Golfers head to sectionals Monday

Three golfers are heading to sectionals Monday. They are seniors Bobby Bartlett and Dennis Hoffman, and junior Tighe Walsh. Pictured at sectionals are, from left, Bartlett, senior Nathan Rutledge, Hoffman, coach Steven Theil, Walsh, and juniors Connor Slattery and Sean Appleton.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

Three boy golfers are heading to sectionals after qualifying at the regional tournament Tuesday at St Andrews Golf Club.

Qualifying individuals are senior Dennis Hoffman with a 78 shot,  junior Tighe Walsh with a 86 shot, and Bobby Bartlett with an 88 shot.

Boys golf has not made it to the state tournament in over 10 years.

Hoffman, Walsh, and Bartlett will get to shoot for a spot in the state tournament held at Bloomington on Oct. 12-13.

“I’d love for us to send a player to the state tournament. It is a very competitive section, but if we stay focused (then) we have the talent to make it happen,” head coach Steven Theil said. “It has been a long time since someone from West Chicago has made the state tournament.”

South Elgin High School will host sectionals Monday at Bartlett Hills Golf Club.

Senior Nathan Rutledge missed out on the last qualifying spot with an 89 shot.

Theil motivates the team throughout the season.

“Golf is such a hard mental game. We have to keep everything positive, compliment their good shots, encourage them to work hard on and off of the golf course,” Theil said.

Although the golf season is going to end soon, Theil hopes to show off the players.
“We have some good young players. I want them to keep playing outside of the high school season. We’ve given each player individualized instruction. This will help them improve on the areas that will help them improve the most,” Theil said.
Theil recognizes the overall improvement of the team.
“The first day of practice we had four golfers try out for the team that had never played on a course before. It has been amazing to see these kids grow and improve. The smiles on their faces when they hit a nice shot are priceless. The JV team won six of their matches this year and that is a big improvement,” Theil said.

Theil has expectations for the players on and off the field.
“First of all, be the best person that you can be. Treat your coaches, teammates, parents, teachers, with respect. Next, be the best student that they can be. Our goal in the classroom is to excel,” Theil said. “Finally be the best athlete that you can be. Everyone is not going to be a star. However, every kid can work hard, give their maximum effort and have a good attitude.”

Theil enjoys seeing the connections golfers have made.
“We had a great year, more than wins and losses. The kids really came together as a team, bonded and had a lot of fun,” Theil said.

Theil credits his co-workers for their support.

“I would like to thank my assistant coach Rich Kost, athletic director Doug Mullany and his administrative assistant, Rose Campos. These folks have been so supportive, it is really like one big family here at West Chicago,” Theil said.

About the Writer
Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

This is Ariana's third year on the paper. She is a senior and an ambassador for the school. She is also president of the dance team “Alegria,” a member...