LRC provides students with chance to win gift card

Photo by Isabela Casimiro

Students can submit their book reviews for a chance to win a gift card

By Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is encouraging students to read award-winning books and open their minds for a chance to win a $10 gift card.

Books are chosen from both the Abraham Lincoln and Alex awards.

“There are 20 Abraham Lincoln books selected each year by teens, teachers, and librarians throughout the state of Illinois,” librarian Donna Leahy said. “We include the 10 Alex award books in the raffle review because these books are written for adults but appeal to teens.”

To enter the monthly drawings, students must read at least one book and write a review on the book.

“Students must check out an Abe or Alex award book or eBook, read it, and write a short book review. There is a blue drop box for reviews on the Abe shelf or if they prefer to write a review online, there is a form available on the LRC website,” Leahy said. “The more books you read and review, the more chances of you have of winning the monthly raffle.”

Students can check three books or eBooks out at a time.

There will six monthly drawings to determine a winner and the first drawing will be Oct. 31.

“The winner would be announced during student announcements and also written in the chalk on Abraham Lincoln’s profile on the wooden entrance shelf,” Leahy said.

The $10 gift card is currently for Barnes & Noble but the LRC is open to any other gift card suggestions.

According to Leahy,  the purpose of the monthly drawings is to motivate students to read books for entertainment.

“We are always looking for ways to reward and motivate students to read for entertainment. Teens spend most of their free time on their smartphones. I’d like to challenge our students to swap some social media time for time connecting with a book that can make a difference in their life,” Leahy said. “Reading is a great form of entertainment, books can take you anywhere in the world at any time. Teens can share their opinions with other teens and maybe win a gift card to buy a new book or cappuccino. It’s all about building a community of readers.”