Prom brings back the Golden Era

+Student+Council+adviser+Nick+Kempski+sells+prom+tickets+to+students+during+10th+hour+in+the+student+activity+center.+%0A

Student Council adviser Nick Kempski sells prom tickets to students during 10th hour in the student activity center.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

With prom being at the Museum of Science and Industry, students can travel through time on April 27.

“Our theme is the Golden Era and it was chosen because this year for Student Council our theme has had to do a lot with time, from decades for homecoming to a masquerade for turnabout, so we wanted to keep that time theme going on for the year,” Student Council adviser Candace Fikis said. “The Museum of Science and Industry, when you walk in, has a lot of cool things from different time periods, from old locomotive trains to one of the first airplanes, to submarines.”

This is the second time Student Council has held prom at the Museum of Science and Industry.

“We chose it because the first time we ever went to the Museum of Science and Industry was two years ago and (we received) great feedback, everyone really enjoyed that place,” Fikis said. “Every place we’ve gone to its been very popular. We have done the Brookfield Zoo, the Shedd Aquarium, Navy Pier and the Museum of Science and Industry, but there was something more special about the museum. We liked the setup of it, we liked that we could open different exhibits so that it does not have to be the exact same type of prom, we loved the food choices that were there, and it was somewhat affordable.”

Prom tickets will be sold for $120 on Monday and Tuesday 10th hour and after school in the student activity center.

According to Fikis, the price of prom tickets is determined by the cost to rent the place, the DJ, the food, the buses, party favors and photo booths.

There are two party favors. One is a water bottle that is given out when tickets are purchased and the other is a picture frame for the photo booth pictures that will be given out at prom.

“Student Council does not make money on prom, our job is to cover our cost and any fundraising we do during the year helps keep that price down,” Fikis said. “(Also) this year we got two photo booths because we had raised enough money at turnabout that we could pay for another one.”

For dinner, students will enjoy different cuisines and a sundae bar.

“We are going to have a couple of different stations, one is going to have fajitas, and nachos, there’s another section that’s got ‘make your own salad’, there’s a pasta bar, there’s another section called ‘Taste of Chicago’ and it’s got mini hot dogs, mini deep dish pizza, and for dessert an ice cream parlor,” Fikis said.

According to Fikis, Student Council has sold 144 tickets out of the 600 they are planning to.  

Students going to prom will report to the school at 5 p.m. and check in at the buses that will be lined up by entrance A.