Benefit competition unites clubs at Feed My Starving Children

Photo by Mark Poulterer

Last year 159 students and staff members packed 202 boxes of food at Feed My Starving Children.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

Clubs will unite for the second time, this year with the goal of breaking last year’s record in packing food at Feed My Starving Children May 9.

Ola’as adviser Mark Poulterer organized the event.

According to Poulterer, the event has several purposes. One is to help families in need.

“I think that a lot of times around Christmas and Thanksgiving we do service projects and then we forget about them for the rest of the year,” Poulterer said. “So, I think this is a good time to do a service project just because it should be a lifestyle thing and not just a Thanksgiving-Christmas thing. There are people around the world who don’t have enough food to eat and this program is a way to provide food for them.”

Another purpose was to unite clubs and students.

“I started it with Ola’as one year and I thought it would be a really good idea to have a competition where we could get different clubs involved and get clubs working together and in competition,” Poulterer said. “So we did it last year, and it was a huge success. We had kids all over the school, kids that never even see each other or don’t know each other exist working side by side and it was really awesome.”

Clubs participating include Ola’as, WeGo Global, Compass, HOSA, AVID, International Club, ROAR, Skills U.S.A, FCCLA, Writing Club, Book Club, dance team, SRC, and boys volleyball.

There are more students and clubs estimated attending the event than there are spots.

“Last year we were there for an hour and a half, the previews record for the number of boxes packed for that period of time was 174, and our group in that amount of time packed 202 boxes, so we broke the record by a long shot, it was really cool and I’m hoping to break it again,” Poulterer said.

Poulterer recalled having students from the wealthiest families in the school to refugees working together.  

“A group of high school students, when they want to, can be the most amazing people in the world and they can do things that most people can’t accomplish,” Poulterer said.

Students going will meet at commons and have dinner, games, and music before going to Feed My Starving Children.