Never Again events brings successful results

WeGo+Global+hung+up+a+banner%2C+made+by+art+teacher+David+Exner%2C+for+Marjory+Stoneman+Douglas+High+School+victims.+Students+were+encouraged+to+sign+the+banner+and+write+comments+on+it.+

Photo by Ariana Alcantar

WeGo Global hung up a banner, made by art teacher David Exner, for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School victims. Students were encouraged to sign the banner and write comments on it.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

WeGo Global held many gun violence prevention events on March 14 and plans to hold more for the Never Again movement.

The club held a silent protest at 10 a.m during 3rd hour and encouraged students and staff to wear orange, the color of the Never Again movement, as a way to cause discussion about gun violence.

“People tend to be very passionate on the issue, there’s not a lot of swaying people to change sides, it was more about how to get people to open up. (We’re) not going to change their minds, we just want them to be willing to listen to the other side,” WeGo Global adviser Maggie Haas said. “I had some good discussions with some kids about it. Some kids felt empowered by the fact that they had an outlet for their activism.”

A banner for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, made by art teacher David Exner, was set up at commons. Students were encouraged to sign the banner and add their thoughts during their lunch hours.

“There were a ton of signatures on there. It was kind of overwhelming looking at it,” Haas said.

English teacher Amanda Cardenas sent the banner to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Thursday.

WeGo Global invited the League of Women Voters to show students how to register to vote and how to contact their representatives during lunch hours.

“The League of Women Voters felt like the time they spent with us was very well spent because they had a lot of kids approach them about how they are able to vote,” Haas said. “We’d love to have them back.”

Overall, WeGo Global felt like the events were successful in bringing awareness to the issue of gun violence.

“I think given the framework that we had in place to put something together, the kids (members) did a fantastic job,” Haas said.

WeGo Global and the social studies department are working together on a community forum regarding gun violence prevention.

“We’re going to have elected officials and community representatives to come talk about school safety here and what to do to keep people safe,” Haas said. “It will be sometime in April. We’re (WeGo Global) going to help up with organization and publicity.”